Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is There An Easy Way To

Posted by DocHollywood 9b (Central Tucson) (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 14:16

Is there an easy way to tell a Rio Red from a Star Ruby grapefruit? I am not sure what I have. I thought Rio Red, but now I am not sure. No tag(s) on the tree. Was purchased originally by someone else. I have looked at the Citrus ID site. But still confused. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is There An Easy Way To

How old is the tree? The Ruby Red was created in FL in 1929; but the Star Ruby was only created in 1970 in Texas.
Other than that, it's probably a difficult differentiation; but IMHO the Star Ruby is the better of the two.

o

Star Ruby grapefruit is "seedless" (meaning it will have 6 seed or less). The fruit has a large open core area, and the albedo is bright pink, plus the there is a definite strong blushing on the peel. Depending on how old and large your tree is some leaves on the tree will have pale yellow to white patches on them resembling herbicide damage.

Rio Red grapefruit has very red flesh,but the size of the ruit is fairly small.

o

Johnmerr:
The tree was planted about 2 and 1/2 years ago. It was 6-7 feet tall when planted. About 9-10 feet tall now. Is Ruby Red the same thing as Rio Red? This was the 2nd season for fruit production.
silica:
The fruit has few seeds, definitely less than 6 average. Light pink color to the flesh. The peel is fairly yellow with an occasional blush spot. The largest fruit are4-5 inches in diameter.

o

Ruby Red and Rio Red are different cultivars. Ruby Red is really "Redblush", and it is truly a "Texas grapefruit", requiring a large number of heat units to develop. You rarely see this cultivar in S. California, although it probably would do well out in the Cochella Valley. I imagine it may do okay in AZ, too, if your growing season is long enough. We here at the coast do not have enough heat units to get Ruby Red to really sweeten up as much as Rio Red will. Rio Red is a sport of Redblush. Here are the links to both cultivars , so you can see if this helps you to ID your tree:

http://users.kymp.net/citruspages/grapefruit.html#redblush
http://users.kymp.net/citruspages/grapefruit.html#riored

Rio Red is probably the only pink or red true grapefruit that has a chance of getting sweet enough for us here at the coast. We actually do better with pummelo/grapefruit hybrids, such as Melogold or Oroblanco, which is what you mainly see in my area, but Rio Red for those that must have something pink colored :-) As in, my husband. I don't like them - too tart for my liking. Love my Oroblancos and Melogolds, though.

Patty S.

o

Thanks everyone. Patty...the links were great. My vote is Rio Red.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here