Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crabs_gw

Pummelos - Citrus grandis Question

crabs
15 years ago

Hi, I got a bunch of pummelos from my sister inlaws garden and made jelly out of it. I was left with 100's of seeds and put them in a zip bag with a bit of dirt an left them in the warm garage.

Yesterday I discovered a ton of shoots coming up. Now does anyone know if the pummelo actually bear fruit on plant grown from seeds? I read that pumello is mainly propagated from seeds and know that the variety will differ. Does it still requite grafting?

Thanks much!!!

Comments (4)

• xentar_gw
    15 years ago

Pummelos are suppose to come true to type, or at least be very close to the parent, just like grapefruits. In Asia, apparently they propagate these through seeds and don't graft them in many cases.

Why would you want one grafted vs not though? A grafted tree will generally produce in 2-7 years, while a seedling will take 7-11 years to produce fruit. The rootstock that's being used will help determine the tree size, disease resistance, growth rate, and even cold hardiness.

In a non-grafted pummelo, you're definitely not going to have the cold hardiness of let's say a trifoliate orange rootstock, and you never really know how disease resistant a seedling will be either. I'm not sure how large a standard size pummelo tree would be or how fast it will grow, but since it doesn't use a dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock, you may have a tree in a few years a lot larger than you wanted.

If you have the extra space and don't mind some of the negatives, plant them in the ground when they get about two years old and see what happens. Earlier this year, I planted an unknown grapefruit seedling in to the ground and will be waiting patiently for another 5-9 years to see how it will be and may end up doing more over the years.

• malcolm_manners
    15 years ago

xentar -- not to be argumentative, but you've been given wrong information. Pummelo is one of the few citrus species that does not come true-to-type from seed -- nearly every seed will be monoembryonic, sexually produced. And by far the most common method of propagating them throughout Asia is by marcottage (air layering) to get clonal material.

• xentar_gw
    15 years ago

After going back and reading some info about it, it still is grown a lot from seeds from what I can gather about it on several sites (which is no doubt why crabs and i both mentioned and heard about them growing from seeds), but it isn't true to type and may not be as close to the parent. Here's a quote from one of the sites:

"The fruit can vary a lot because it isn't a grafted species, it's actually a natural citrus fruit tree that can grow from seed and cross-pollinate with others. Because the fruit can vary a lot, this makes it a less popular item to plan to sell to consumers, in today's environment where even designer-water bottle Environmentalists expect their apples and oranges to always be the same."

Considering that pumellos are considered their own species and not a hybrid or intergrade (intergrade meaning that two species within their native range naturally hybridizes with no human intervention), they can still produce viable seedlings. I'm not an expert in pumellos, nor do I know if pollination could play a big factor in what your pumello could taste like in many years. Maybe there are some experts in pollination here.

By far, in North-America, you're going to see grafted varieties and not many seedlings or air layered plants, but I still say if you got the room to try it, go ahead and plant them. Seeing the plant grow and not knowing what it'll be like is more fun than knowing sometimes. Just leave some room for stuff you know will be good too! If not, send them to me. I'll be happy to take 100s of pumello seeds off of your hands lol. The last pumello I bought in the grocery store only had like 2 seeds in it, and they haven't come up yet, but I hope they'll come up sometime this year. I'll probably be buying a Hirado Buntan grafted variety in the next week or so as well.

I'm not a huge fan of pumello as an edible but do believe the goliath size of them are a sight to behold sometimes. There was an Asian market I use to go to that actually had some that were about the size of a bowling ball.

• abodabualhaija_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i have leave of pummelos
    on the lower leave there is a white spot and brown
    help me to diagnos this disease