Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plutomedia

Bearss Lime Fruit Not Growing, Not Dropping

plutomedia
11 years ago

Hello All,

I'm writing about my little Bearss Lime tree today. This fella has been through hell this year, which included a bad bout with root rot, fungus gnats, and a mid-winter repotting. I ended up repotting him using the house soil blend from Logee's in Connecticut. (They say it's what they plant all of their citrus in--and seem to know what they're doing). We had to prune several dead branches off in the process, too.

So, all that being said, I'd say he's a survivor, and I'm sure he cannot wait to get outside and feel some heat! (Hurry up, June!).

But one thing I've noticed, as you can see in the photos, is that while he does have a lot of fruit on him (more than 20 by my count), they don't seem to have grown a bit in several weeks. My other trees have fruit and it's easy to watch their progess. But this guy's limes seem stuck. No, they're not dropping, and I'm kind of surprised the flowers haven't dropped, either. He's also, leaf-wise, a pretty barren tree.

We've been watering him sparingly since repotting (4-5 weeks ago), to make sure the roots dry out. I guess my question is, should I take the fruit off and let hime focus on leafing out, or should i just maintain status quo and see what happens.

Note: He's in a big, bright south-facing window with additional fluorescent growlights above.