Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
identifying an indoor lemon.....

Posted by sunnysideuphill 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 14:35

Can you help with this family quest? My grandfather came to America from the Bay of Naples, town called Sarno in the hills above Salerno. According to his oldest daughter, my Aunt Rose, he brought a lemon seedling with him. By the time I was asking about it, in the early 1950's, the plant was a sturdy tree, in a huge pot in his bedroom. It was on a table that was window sill height, and the tree filled the whole window. Several times I remember it had lemons - pointed on the ends, and blocky ovals, but twice the size of supermarket lemons. The skin was a yellowish green. They were very fragrant, and juicy.
After my grandfather died in '62, Aunt Rose kept the tree going. After her death in '84, a clueless and insensitive relative by marriage tossed it.
I don't know if the lemon tree I remember in the pot was the one he brought with him (can they last that long?), or one that he grew from a cutting of the original. He and his buddies were always trading and sharing plants.

Does anyone know what lemon that might have been?
Or - does anyone have any suggestions about a lemon I could grow indoors in zone 5, giving it a summer break on the deck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: identifying an indoor lemon.....

not sure when he started it but there is no doubt that with good care a lemon can live a long time. Obviously at least the 34 years you knew about it. a member here has a seedling orange that is 38 years old!

as for the type someone may have a clue but I dont. With a proper place to overwinter them you can grow any citrus you want. Just ask Meyer Mike. He grows all types in zone 5 Massachusetts, pretty sure its Massachusetts. Please dont scold me if Im wrong Mike, LOL.

mike

o

There are a whole bunch of lemons called "Mediterranean lemons" or "Italian Lemons". I am not familiar with these, but you might want to google those phrases. FourWinds, a very reputed grower offers some of them. I have seen some locally called "Santa Teresa Lemon" trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Italian Lemons

o
Santa Teresa Lemon - identifying an indoor lemon.....

BTW/ I found the description of the Santa Teresa lemon too... Now you can google all of those lemon names and see which one looks like the fruit from your grandfather's tree. Link follows ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Teresa lemon description

o

Thank you for that link, AshleySF! I've bookmarked Four Winds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here