Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

identifying an indoor lemon.....

sunnysideuphill
13 years ago

Can you help with this family quest? My grandfather came to America from the Bay of Naples, town called Sarno in the hills above Salerno. According to his oldest daughter, my Aunt Rose, he brought a lemon seedling with him. By the time I was asking about it, in the early 1950's, the plant was a sturdy tree, in a huge pot in his bedroom. It was on a table that was window sill height, and the tree filled the whole window. Several times I remember it had lemons - pointed on the ends, and blocky ovals, but twice the size of supermarket lemons. The skin was a yellowish green. They were very fragrant, and juicy.

After my grandfather died in '62, Aunt Rose kept the tree going. After her death in '84, a clueless and insensitive relative by marriage tossed it.

I don't know if the lemon tree I remember in the pot was the one he brought with him (can they last that long?), or one that he grew from a cutting of the original. He and his buddies were always trading and sharing plants.

Does anyone know what lemon that might have been?

Or - does anyone have any suggestions about a lemon I could grow indoors in zone 5, giving it a summer break on the deck?

Comments (4)