Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Leaves Redish. Hmmmmmm ID?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 14:46

We have no idea what kind of lemon this is. It had been neglected for many years, and it's a rescue tree. Rescue is still in process.

After receiving water and fertilizer, it bore about 6 lemons. They are medium size and not yet ripe, but the tree is covered in blossoms.

None of my trees, and we have several citrus. None have reddish new growth. What kind of lemon puts out new growth that is reddish?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks!
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Leaves Redish. Hmmmmmm ID?

Most likely a lemon of some variety, Suzi. Eureka and Lisbon lemons both will sport reddish new growth. So do Italian lemons (Santa Teresa Femminello). Hallmark sign of a lemon tree - pink/reddish new growth. Not so much with the Improved Meyer lemon. Most commonly grown lemon in your area would be the Eureka. If the tree is really REALLY thorny, more likely a Lisbon. If the lemons are really really large, Santa Teresa, but that would be a long shot for you, based on the age of the tree. My bet is on the Eureka.

Patty S.

o

I bet you are right, Patty! It's probably Eureka.

I can't imagine an Italian lemon being here. I do think I have a Lisbon in another area of the property. Very thorny! I just ran out and looked, and all the new growth is bright green. Maybe the "Lisbon" is a very productive seedling. When we uncovered it from a huge vine causing it to survive in dense shad last summer, it blossomed and produced tiny, seedy lemons. It is now blossoming at the correct time, and the lemons should be larger and ripe later in the year or early next.

I'm glad the red growth is normal!

Thanks!

Suzi

o

My Ponderosa lemons have the red new growth. Something about the trunk or main stem looks a little different though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here