Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bedtime_gw

New Meyer Lemon Tree :)

bedtime
11 years ago

I just picked this up for $59.99 at Terra Greenhouses. It's just a little over 5' tall. The trunk seems to be quite straight considering it's grafted and I was surprised at how thick the trunk was.

There's no evident fruiting yet and the flowers are only in their very beginning stages. I guess they call this 'budding'? Lots of foliage growth near the top.

I saw another lemon tree in the nursery, a HUGE one. Looked like maybe it could bring in about 80-100 lemons easily. No price, so I asked... $300.00, sigh. :'( I'd pay it though if I had the money. That tree was beautiful.

Comments (12)

• bedtime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flower budding:

• bedtime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New growth:

• bedtime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Closeup of graft:

• bedtime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When it gets warmer it'll go on the balcony, but for now this is the final indoor setup:

• bedtime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Made lemon tea with 2 sucker leaves:

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

good looking tree. don't overwater.

when its warmer, it'll need a bigger wider pot.

hmm, never heard of or tried lemon leaf tea, how's it taste?

This post was edited by houstontexas123 on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 20:09

• bedtime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

houstontexas123,

The tea tastes like pepperment with a hint of lemon. I've had 3 lemon teas today. :)

As for repotting I'd rather not do that unless it's absolutely necessary. The last time I tried repotting my lime tree it turned out to be an unpleasant experience. Not to mention that due to that lime repot I'll likely not get any fruit this year on that tree, so an entire year without fruit and the possibility that it may never recover. Anyways, it's my fault. I'm a screw up. Best to just leave well enough alone.

• bedtime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's some progress of the tree for those interested...

There are about 12 new shoots appearing on branches so lots of new leaf growth coming. This is good because I have had some leaf drop and was hoping that it would be soon replaced with new foliage. There seems to be plenty of baby lemons that are getting close to the size of chick peas. Several have fallen off but from what I hear only about 4% will actually end up surviving and being lemons. There looks to be about 12 that look quite strong and several other ones that are much smaller and likely to fall off. Lets see how they hold and if this tree will at least keep 4 I'd be very happy.

The tree has only had about two days outside. Poor thing. Weather has been too cold and even worse, cloudy and grey with little sun. But this new growth surprised me. I'm very happy with it. Just goes to show I could use a little faith and patience but for those that know me I don't have much of either.

Good news though, the weather is said to about 19C tomorrow. And if it's not the weather people are in ALOT of trouble! Been waiting too long for summer!

• bedtime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the new growth. Even has a branch with 3 sprouts coming out:

• bedtime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally, a picture of the entire tree. It's 5' 1/8".

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Nice tree :-)
    It needs to be re-potted into an appropriate soil-mix, the sooner the better. The season's already getting away from us, although you have plenty of time in May (given your chilly location).

Josh

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I'm with Josh... put it in a new pot and much bigger; I leave the rest to container growers; but when you re-pot, do not fertilize for 2-3 weeks, or until you see the start of new growth.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living