Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my lemon tree produce fruit?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:30

My lemon tree that I grew back in August of 2012 is pretty healthy. It's almost a foot in height. I've heard you can get 3 plants from 1 seed, and only one of the plants are strong enough to be capable. I only got one from the seed. Is it likely that I got the seedling that will produce fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my lemon tree produce fruit?

If you're growing a citrus tree from seed, expect that it might take anywhere from 3 to about 12-15 years to produce fruit. Most citrus seeds are polyembryonic, producing multiple seedlings from one seed, with the stronger of the seedlings being the "clone" seedling, or identical to the mother plant. Hard to say if you only had one sprout, could be the clone, could be a hybrid. All will produce fruits, just know that a hybrid seedling will not necessarily produce the same fruit as the tree from which you got the fruit. Depends on what citrus pollen, pollinated the flower if the seedling is a hybrid. If the seedling is a clone, then it will be identical to the mother tree (and the fruit from which you got the seed). Only time will tell you :-)

Patty S.

o
RE: Will my lemon tree produce fruit?

So, I probably won't get the same exact lemons I got the seed from? That's cool. I can live with that. A lemon's a lemon to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here