Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tree

My new little Ctitrus Tree :D

ryan_tree
15 years ago

Hey everyone, my parents recently brought me back a small citrus tree from Florida. It looks to be a cutting as it is just a stem with two leaves. What I was wondering was what kind of soil does it need to be in? Would regular Potting soil do fine? Or is there a certain soil I HAVE to get? Such as Palm, etc. Also, I read on the instructions that I should not water from the bottom of the tree. Why is this? If I have already done this will it kill the small tree? Thanks for your help! Ryan.

Comments (10)

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh and it is called a calamondin orange tree btw. And I meant Palm and Citrus soil, you know the kind from Miracle Gro. Thanks!

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Ryan, Calamondins are the best citrus to start with..they bloom and fruit throughout the year.

Miracle Gro Citrus and Palm soil is okay..if you can get hold of Perlite, mix with the MG citrus/palm soil, so the soil will be better draining, especially for those who tend to overwater.

What size is your tree? Do you know its pot size?
    There are a few reasons bottom-watering shouldn't be done. For one, fertilizer can increase salt buildup. So, by top watering, excess salts are washed away when watered from the top..BTW, your tree should be potted in a container with drainage holes, so water can escape.
    Small plants, like African Violets and Episcias can be bottom-watered, but their pots are small..small opposed to tree-pot sizes. Even small plants need occassional top watering.
    Bottom-watering a large pot would take a long time, if in fact it soaked up enough water to saturate the roots..Roots need to be watered thoroughly, otherwise plant can die. Good luck, Toni

• lemon_lime1978
    15 years ago

It is illegal to bring any citrus plant or parts out of FL.

Entire state is under quarantine for citrus greening disease and Asian citrus psyllids.

It is illegal to move live citrus plants, plant parts, budwood, or cuttings from Florida. (Note: Citrus fruit cannot be moved from Florida unless USDA has issued a limited permit.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus greening

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thats exactly why they sell them all over the place in Florida, and why the Government knew they were in there and did not stop the bringing of the plant. Nice try though.

Thanks Toni. It is a very small cutting in a very small pot. I'd say the pot is about 4 inches, and so is the plant. It has a drainage hole though. I also have plenty of perlite from all the soil needed with my trees I grow. I will use the soil mix you have mentioned. Thank you so much! Ryan

• lemon_lime1978
    15 years ago

Now that's a great attitude to have. Try doing a little research or how about calling the USDA.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Perhaps ryan's plant came from a USDA inspected nursery, though I doubt it. 9 states (including Florida) have total or partial quarantines for citrus, as do Guam, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.

Does anyone here remember that fiasco with the person who bought some citrus from E-Bay and ended up having the FBI (or similiar) inspect his entire home and confiscate all of his citrus? I believe that he lived in the NE. In that situation, of course, they had the records from E-Bay.

Do you remember that Toni? Seems like we were all on pins and needles for awhile.

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Listen, all I'm saying is that the USDA knew they had it, as they walked right onto the plane with it. So, I am not sure what is going on, but they certainly knew about it.

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its all right everyone. For all of you worried that I am gonaa destroy the world with my citrus tree, you don't need to worry anymore. I just read on the box that it says my plant has been visually inspected for plant pest and meets at least the minimum requirements of Chapter 581, Florida Statutes. It has a registration number and everything, so calm down please. Its all good.

• dogdog
    15 years ago

Ryan tree...I can tell you about the USDA destroying Citrus trees....It happened to me on December 10, 2007.....I bought 10 Citrus trees on EBay in the Summer of 2007 from Srarke Fl....The USDA (Arrived in 3 or 4 trucks and SUV) Came to my Home in South Georgia on Dec 10th to check my Citrus trees out...After they left Dec 11, 2007 they had pulled up, doubled baged and took to City Dump every Citrus trees I had planted in the ground and Pots..Here is most of what I had...5000 Flying Dragon Rootstock (3 inches to 3 Feet High)..461 (You name it I had it)Citrus trees (2 Feet to 6 feet High)(1 Myers Lemon about 7 years old and about 12 feet high) (Produced over 200 big Lemons in 2007) They left with my backyard destroyed.....To this day they cannot tell me if any of my plants had any Canker or Greening)....ONLY that I bought the 10 Plants came from a contaminated area in Florida, every plant had to be destroyed...(and they did, every Citrus tree)..The USDA sent a rep to my home in the Summer of 2008 and told me that USDA had changed everything if they find any citrus tree with Canker or Greening they would recommend for you to distroy the tree....DUH......If anyone would like to get a more detail report as to what happened to me, I will be glad to email you...... dog@almatel.net

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is such a dissapointment. I'm sorry for what happened to you. I don't think it will happen to me though as it is USDA certified thankfully.