Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Grapefruit Tree

Posted by david_potts ca (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 15:39

My poor grapefruit tree is dying. I've had it for 10 years and it has always been strong. Last year I lost a Lemon tree; this year the Grapefruit is doing the same thing. I don't know how to help this poor tree. Please help me.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii59/Dajiu/IMG_0406.jpg

The image in the link is what the plant looks like right now.

I'm in Southern California if that matters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Grapefruit Tree

I'm no expert at citrus but I see you have not had a response.
I looked at your picture and one of the things that stands out to me is the curling leaves.
Here are some links that may help you.
Good luck.
Danny

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/crops/az1151.pdf

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0602094211826.html

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 19:35

It has a root problem.

Look at the base of the tree. I see a large wound which shouldn't be a problem as long as it isn't getting bigger.

But the bark near the base is off-color. Is it splitting and/or peeling?

Beyond that, the leaves are curling, also off-color, because of the limited root function.

o

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into the roots and see what I can find. I am thinking that this might be the problem. When the lemon tree died last year (a few trees to the left) I dug it out and the roots didn't seem right. When the house was built someone ran the drains for the yard right under these trees. Not really a good idea. I'm guessing there may be a lot of stagnant water under the trees.

o

The bark at the base looks (as far as I can tell from the image) a good example of physical injury from a mower or weedeater. Do you think that might be the case for your tree?

o

It looks to me as if, for some reason, the tree is not getting water to the leaves. It could be that the sprinkler system is leaking and soaking the roots and rotting them, so that there are no roots to take up water. Either way, I would strip the fruit now, and dig down to the root level to see what the ground is like down about 6-12 inches. I think it is very interesting that another tree nearby has also failed. I would assume there is a common reason. The wound on the trunk at the base also looks pretty bad, but I suspect the issue is below the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here