Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aslan89_gw

'Tango' Mandarin in Texas?

aslan89
12 years ago

Let me try this again, I seem to have gotten off to bad start in my other thread and apparantly my choice of words was slightly confusing.

Let me start off by saying, yes I know there is a ban on citrus imports from California to Texas so you don't have to remind me.

I would like to point out however that, AZ and FL are on the banned shipping list for citrus as well but I read posts last night of people purchasing a 'Tango' mandarin in both of those states so someone is obviously growing them.

For Texas, it has to be grown in Texas for me to be able to get it.

Someone on Dave's garden had a great idea and had me contact the Weslaco citrus center since many nurseries are required to purchase bud wood from them. I am awaiting on that reply but it is probably a dead end since 'Tango' is not on their order form.

I know I shouldn't assume, but surely someone in Texas is growing this tree. Through the USDA you can even apply for permits to purchased banned plants such as citrus to study or even for personal use. This tree has been available to growers since at least 2006 so I am surprised I can find no one here who grows this tree. Once it is in Texas it just has to be propagated here and then they can sell it.

Sorry for the long explanation but surely someone knows of this tree being in Texas?

Comments (9)

• Randy31513
    12 years ago

Can you find the original W. Murcott tree? The only difference I would guess is the W. Murcott is not sterile.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is true but the seedless nature of tango makes it so much better. Plus I live in a grapefruit orchard and we just added a bunch of oranges, tangerines, and lemons so the W. Murcott would be loaded with seeds out here lol

• bada_bing
    12 years ago

There were lot's of Tango mandarin trees in #5's on sale at Costco last month in Tucson AZ. They were from W&N in California. The big nurseries in California can and do ship lots of certified citrus trees to the big box outlets in AZ. The federal prohibition on moving across state lines is on individuals moving uncertified citrus. Texas must have it's own state ban, the USDA lets CA citrus across into AZ.

Doesn't help in your quest, but might explain where the restriction is.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thats Texas for ya! Haha but yes we can't ship it out and can't import it in but I still have my ways. I'm in the process of getting a licensing agreement from the university of California for bid wood because they own the patent, and I'm filling out my USDA permits for shipping banned/quarantined plants across state lines.

I'm nothing if not determined :p

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

There you go, aslan. Perhaps you can actually propagate Tangos and be a commercial grower for others.

Patty S.

• sun_junkie
    9 years ago

Any update to this thread? I'm looking to grow/propagate Tango mandarins in TX also. (Houston)

• pip313
    9 years ago

My understanding is you can contact the Texas ag and ask how to order budwood from California. It's possible but there is red tape that must be addressed.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

I think the entire process has been messed up since HLB. I could not even get the USDA to send me any forms. We used to be able to go through the Citrus Center in Weslaco to get CA budwood and rootstock seed.

• pip313
    9 years ago

I guess that since cali found Trizesta in its foundation block that Texas is being careful. However Cali's screen house plants are still disease free. Contact the Texas ag and the budwood program. Ask if the budwood ban is still in effect and if they know how much longer if it is.

Cali's program has it where they will import and clean budwood for you but I don't know if Texas will do the same.