Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citrusboy

Japanese Citrus - Sudachi or Kabosu

citrusboy
18 years ago

Hi, I am wanting to add these two trees to my citrus collection and I can't seem to find any trees let alone any seeds.

Can anyone help with a source for:

A: Fruit. so I can get the seeds

B: Japanese Nursery that may have the tree

C: Seeds. Tradewindsfruit.com has none

Thanks

Comments (27)

• joereal
    18 years ago

Have you tried budding?

I just have budded Sudachi last fall and they are springing up since late winter this year. Perhaps by fall this year they will have harvestable budwoods.

I got budwoods from UCR.

It is quite easy to bud citruses. To prove my point, I currently own a 30-in-1 citrus tree, all T-budded together. Hopefully it will become a 40 cultivar tree within a month's time, just budded 10 more this year unto it. 19 of the 30 existing cultivars have flower buds at the moment.

• bencelest
    18 years ago

I am beginning to think that Japanese citrus and pome plants are more to my liking such as my Fuyo persimmons, fuji apples, Satsuma plum and now japanese citrus but I have not taste the fruit of an orange or mandarin yet. I imagine they are as good or better.
    Are they a keeper?
    If so save a scion for me Joe this Fall. What about a Rio something which is a Japanese plum or peach which is on sale now at Home Depot?
    I must have taste them while I was in Japan during my Navy days but that was a long time ago. I remember seeing a lot of them in the market place or store but that was not in my mind during those times. I was nineteen.

• joereal
    18 years ago

Satsumas are all of Japanese origins. Even the mandarin hybrids (Yosemite Gold, Shasta gold, Tahoe Gold and Gold Nugget) from UCR are to some extent have Japanese citrus parentage. As to being a good keeper, the UCR hybrids are better than the original Japanese citruses.

Sudachis are very good for exotic cuisines. Sudachi sauce is expensive and for sure you can't make one without a real sudachi fruit. I budded the Sudachi unto my Meyer lemon trees, on top of the canopy. It protects the Meyer lemons from very cold frosty nights. Sudachis are very cold tolerant. I had a big branch of Sudachi getting along this winter but then the strong winds knocked down the laurel tree of my neighbor and fell and cut off the big sudachi branch. Now it is resprouting from where it was broken off. I will also try to graft some Sudachi as well as Yuzu unto my 8-in-1 lemon and lime tree. Sudachi and Yuzu are very cold tolerant but Sudachi is even more cold tolerant than Yuzu.

• joereal
    18 years ago

Benny, when you come over to visit or when I come over to your place to visit before the fall, I will snip off some budwoods that you like from any of my more than 60 cultivars of citruses.

• rickjames
    18 years ago

I've seen sudachi fruit, as well as yuzu fruit, for sale at Marukai in ?Gardena/Torrance. You can sometimes find at at Japanese markets--I've also seen it at Mitsuwa here in N. CA, but there is also a location in W. LA I think. Is the season over though?

I'd love to get my hands on a sudachi tree as well. I will have to try grafting.

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Rickjames:
    Are the fruits a keeper?

• joereal
    18 years ago

I think I have read that there is a ritual of some sort to harvest the Sudachi fruits at exactly the right time then store it at certain temperature in order to achieve and preserve the taste the longest. I would say ritual because I haven't found scientific reasons why it should be that way. If you simply want to use the Sudachi like a lemonade, I think it can stay on the tree as long as lemons.

• bencelest
    18 years ago

So it taste like a lemon? My imagination took me to the world of Mandarin where Sudachi would taste like sweet mandarin. I don't know where I got that idea. I think the name implies that. Like Lychee or soda.

• joereal
    18 years ago

Precisely like aromatic lemon. Far from sweet, more like pleasant bittersour as opposed to bittersweet. They are good candidates to be grafted to my multi-grafted lem-o-lime tree, that and Yuzu as well. I would class them all as face-disfiguring fruits when eaten fresh off the tree.

• citrusboy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks JoeReal! 30 in 1?! Crazy and Amazing at the same time. Thanks for you UCR Idea. They are releasing Sadachi budwood in June and I am now on the mailing list. The Kabosu tree they have had since '84 but are apparently not releasing budwood. (hmm why is that!) I will ask again.. At that time I will attempt to graft to a Flying dragon Rootstock while my wife stands by ready to dial 911 when I cut my finger off...

• rickjames
    18 years ago

bencelest,
    nevermind your question got answered :) ...The fruit I have seen is small, ping-pong ball in size, yellow, and smells nice when scratched, smooth skin and not a bumpy citrus. Sour, used for flavoring like you would a lemon or lime, I recall it as just sour and not bitter(I've only had it once). And pricey. Like more than a dollar a piece for a dinky fruit.

Do you guys plan to order budwood together en masse again? There are a few that I'd like to get, but I just want a few sticks...beside these Japanese citrus I have a thing for those acidless ones.

• joereal
    18 years ago

As long as you are in California and not in the Kern County, we can order together.

• rickjames
    18 years ago

Cool! I'm in the Bay Area...when does this usually occur?
    TIA.

• joereal
    18 years ago

If you email me by following the garden web links, I can add you to the list. I usually will collect everyone's wish list and then mix and match. I announce it via email as soon as I get the new listing mailed to me then finalize it 2 weeks before the deadline.

• fragrantgarden99
    15 years ago

Was just browsing sudachi citrus and found this link. Seller in Los Altos, CA, near Palo Alto, 1/2 hr south of San Francisco

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/grd/1063036934.html

FG

• Louis Bougdour
    9 years ago

Hey guys,

I'm upping this thread because I'm also looking for kabosu and yuzu lion seeds. Could you please give me some links?

All I have for now is a japanese seller that doesn't want to sell abroad...

Thanks in advance

• serge94501
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have seen Sudachi trees available for sale in #5 containers at Navlet's nursery in Northern California. I grafted a tree from budwood (didn't realize I could just buy one).

As far as Kabosu, I have never seen a tree for sale. I was able to convince the fine people at CCPP to start the process to make Kabosu budwood available. Best case scenario - 18 months. I will keep this thread updated.

Don't get *anything* directly from Japan - they seemingly don't care about Tristeza and damned near everything is infected.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Serge,

Thanks for your work with the folks at CCPP! Having clean bud wood for Kabosu will be great for CA!

When did you see the Sudachi trees at Navelt's? Do you think they would still have any?

Four Winds said about 3 years ago that they'd be growing Sudachi, but so far I've only seen it on their mail order list. They won't ship inside CA, and it never seems to show up on their local wholesale list, or I'd order it from my local nursery.

I'd love to get my hands on one, I'm only about an hour or so from Navlet's locations.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Thanks, Serge for contacting CCPP. It is getting harder and harder to get some of the more unusual citrus cultivars these days, with all of the efforts going to trying to manage citrus diseases. I'm going to have to contact CCPP to see if they ever procured a Shiranui source. They said they were working on it about 3 years ago, but haven't heard anything more about that. Wish that they would re-institute the Citrus Days at the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection orchard. That was a lot of fun, and very educational.

Patty S.

• Louis Bougdour
    9 years ago
    Thanks guys, I was mainly talking about seeds because I'm Canadian, can't really get any grafted tree across the border. What about citrus greening?
  • hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Yes, HLB (the bacterium responsible for Citrus Greening) would be in the seeds of an infected tree. Serge is right - I would never purchase seeds from anyone in Asia at all. HLB has been rampant in Japan and China for over 20 years. Much too risky. I don't have an answer for you, except to try joining the Citrus Growers Forum and see if anyone there might have clean seeds for you.

Patty S.

• Louis Bougdour
    9 years ago
    Thanks a lot Patty, I appreciate.
  • serge94501
    9 years ago

Hi Barb:

I am pretty sure it was last summer, at the Pleasant Hill location. It may have been four winds. They also carry citrus from a smaller grower with a Japanese name - could have been that one too. My grafted Sudachi is doing well. There are *so many* Japanese fruits I want to get over here. I wish the CCPP would take an interest - they are very, very different from what we have here.

• Louis Bougdour
    9 years ago

A japanese fellow citrus grower advised me not to get any plant from Japan, since they actually suffer from Tristeza in an indemic way. They live with it. That's also why they won't give any phytosanitary certificate. They just can't.

• oldmanwithhouse
    7 years ago

...so, nobody has Sudachi trees in CA? You all have been talking about these for 9yrs. lol

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

This is such an old thread, but Four Winds sells Sudachi trees...I just got one.