Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tantanman

Gulf Coast Temperature Yo Yo Continues

tantanman
10 years ago

We have a forecast high of 80 Deg F today and a low 32 Deg in the morning. Isn't that perfectly weird?

I just looked at the weather map and it is down to 32 Deg F 120 miles to the NW and the front is closing in fast. It is already 78 to 80 in the Houston area.

They are also forecasting rain this evening. If it rains this evening it would be very unlikely to freeze by morning. That water gives off a lot heat to freeze from these temperatures.

My Satsumas and my Kat mandarins.are not budding out yet. The limes are blooming. The rest in between. I was afraid of some thing like this weeks ago.

Comments (6)

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

74 degrees and full sun here in VB today, High of 33 and 4 inches of snow forecasted for tomorrow.

• johnorange
    10 years ago

tantanman, I just finished covering up a few of my smaller trees with tender leaf buds sprouting out. My newly planted dancy tangerine, Ponderosa lemons, satsuma oranges, and calamondins are all pushing out tender leaf buds. My blueberry is in full bloom. It's only supposed to get down to about 35 the next few nights but a good frost could singe the buds back. I lost lots of leaves over the winter so it would be nice if the new leaves could get a break! My lime is completely leafless and it's pretty much on its own now....if it comes back and makes limes, fantastic, but I don't think it's suited for this area. I forget what variety it is. I changed a lot of things about the way I planted the new mandarin, including putting it in a much more protected place.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

up here in OK 55 yesterday, 14 right now with an overnight low of 6 tonight. Its been sleeting and snowing all day. Wind gust up in the 20-30mph. Wind chills in the negatives.

I feel for you all down south were this is not supposed to happen. Stay warm.

Mike

• tantanman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike:

Thanks for the kind words. It does happen. March of '73, '80, '02 and a couple more I can't put an exact number on. It was 19.5 Deg F in Houston in Mar. 2002. That is the lowest late temperature I remember. My Keraji froze back to almost 1/2" wood. They are normally very cold hardy but it was very young and I had just put it in the ground the year before. So it wanted to grow all winter. The youngest tree I have now is about three years in the ground.

The bad thing is there is little or no warning. Last night and even this morning, NOAA was forecasting 38- 41 deg F. Now they dropped it to 31. They are still behind the curve. Channel 13 has dropped their's to 26 Deg F for the AM low.

Johnorange:

I hope you only make it down to mid thirties the next few nights. It is already 32 in Wharton.

• TheRiGuy Manitoba Canada Zone -3a
    10 years ago

you guys got nothing, here in central Canada it got down to -52úC(-61.6 úF) with the windchill the other day, skin burning cold. luckily in a week they are forecasting near freezing temps. Gonna be a while before I can put my kumquat outside.

• tantanman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TheRiGuy:

Right, but you don't have citrus in the ground that was heated by 78-80 deg sunshine until it had 2 inch new growth then plunged into the freezer.