Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Having trouble finding the graft line on my cara cara

Posted by forkyfork NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 16:17

I bought a grafted dwarf cara cara orange a few months ago and it's really exploded with growth over the past few weeks. The trouble is, some of the sucker growth near the bottom is a darker green color than the other growth. However, I know the cara cara can sport variegated foliage and I'm not sure if this is sucker growth from the rootstock or the cara cara itself. It looks like the growth is above a wedge graft but I'm not completely sure. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Having trouble finding the graft line on my cara cara

Here's a different view.

o

leaves look the same.

o

From a reputable and popular grower in our area here (SF bay area in California),
they advise that the graft line is usually diagonal; I didn't know that before.
If the growth is branching from above the root graft (line), then they call it a Water Sprout.
There is a video segment on this page as well.
(See the web link submitted with this post)

Here is a link that might be useful: Article from Four Winds Growers

o

• Posted by axier Z9 Basque C. (Spain) (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 1:54

Please, why don't you take a picture of the whole trunk?
The graft can be lower than that showed in your picture.

o

Looks to me like this was a bud graft - probable edges shown in red.
That's fine, except that the second picture shows that the remains of the rootstock has died back and this could spread down. Normally a small rootstock stub like this stays green and healthy and is cut off as the top variety grows.
If the plant was supplied with this dead piece, I would complain.
I would now carefully snip off the dead piece without damaging anything that's green.
So all the new growth is the Caracara variety. I think there's too much coming from this point and would remove some of the thinner new shoots. But it depends on what shape you eventually want - a lower bushier plant or taller and more tree-like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here