Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Myer Lemons not growing!

Posted by burleybutt tx (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 17:00

Greetings: I purchased an Improved Myer Lemon from a nursery in late summer. I'm in San Antonio. I then transferred it to a large clay pot, 12" H x 14" diam.I bring it in during the winter when temps. get near freezing. It produced a lot of flowers and set fruit. Problem is that the lemons are the size of a pea and have been for a couple months.I feed with sea weed extract.Any idea what's going on? How long does a lemon normally take to reach mature size? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Myer Lemons not growing!

Time to mature? The primary bloom of Meyers is in January to March; and the fruit is ready to harvest beginning about November. As for your tree, it is likely underfertilized; Meyers are heavy feeders and in containers need to be fertilized at least 4 times per year with a good balanced citrus fertilizer according to label directions. I doubt your sea weed is giving the plant what it needs; but if you post some fotos, we could give you a better guess.

o
RE: Myer Lemons not growing!

• Posted by TimSF CA Z8B/Sunset17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 18:41

Hi burley,

There are a couple things you should keep in mind regarding citrus trees in particular:

1) First, as John indicates, they are very heavy feeders requiring relatively large amounts of N (especially), P, and K with smaller amounts of Fe, Zn, Mg, Mn, S, Ca, etc. A lot of us here use fertilizers with the ratios in the range of 3-1-2 (such as Foliage Pro, for example) with much success. So, definitely DO CHECK your seaweed fertilizer to make sure you have these essential AND micronutrient elements to rule out nutrient deficiency. Also, how are you watering your Meyer/how do you know it's time to water? Remember that they don't want to be continually moist (and even less so during the winter months when they should be in dormancy), as this will impair root uptake of both water and nutrients and could lead to root rot eventually. One of the best means to test when water is needed is the wooden dowel/BBQ skewer method.

2) Citrus need to be a certain age to be able to hold fruit (usually 2-4 yrs for grafted ones), and they self-thin and hold onto as much fruit as they can bear. Therefore, it's all the more reason to keep them well fed with the appropriate fertilizer throughout the growing season and to provide lots of sunlight (South-facing window is best) when indoors.

I suspect that your tree is just too young to hold fruit. Have patience and before too long you'll have more than you'll know what to do with.

Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here