Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieflowers

What is happening to my Washington Navel?

Katieflowers
10 years ago

It has been suggested that I ask for Meyermike here. :) I have a potted Washington Navel Orange tree, She has been VERY hardy and has even grown New Braches. But here is the trouble I am having now. She is dropping her leaves YET she is growing new ones, with buds and flowers. The younger branches have dropped the leaves and some of those are dying. I do not over water and use the finger test to make sure that she is dry before I water her. She also has a random branch thing that is growing from the bottom of her trunk. I have posted a picture of that, it looks like she is about to grow more of those. Any of this normal?

Comments (3)

• Katieflowers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the branches that are not doing as well. I think that the little one growing in the pot is a Tangelo tree...Her never fully grown buds fell in and two months later, I have that little guy lol.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

How long does it take for that mix to dry out for you?

Where do you store that plant? What kind of temps do you provide and how much sunlight?

Do you over summer it oitside at all?

What kind of mix is that and how old is it?

Does that pot have drain holes?

Do you fertilize it at all and how often?

That growth growing below the graft line, has it done that before?
    Pick that growth off since it will kill your above grafted portion.

From what I think and see..I see a soil mix that is not one that I would use..It probably holds water far too long than a citrus likes and probably does not allow oxygen to the root zone a must for a healthy tree.

It has probably been either over or under watered at times amd possibly slowly dying from dissolved salts in that mix.

There is a few things you can do correct this situation if you would like and many can help if you take the time to answer the questions and fill us in with as much detail as possible on how your care for your tree..We are all here for you:-)

P.s...All of that is normal if a tree is sick, the roots stressed, and the mix not appropiate for citrus..

For a healthy tree, none of that is normal...

Mike

• Katieflowers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK here we go. ;) It takes about a week for it to completely dry out.

The front of my house is all glass, south facing, so she is like my other two Citrus trees right in font of the big glass door, she get's 8 hours of sun.

The temps are a bit of a pain, if the sun is out it can reach 85 degrees in the house but drop to 60-65 at night (In the house.)

She stays out side all summer long like the other ones.

I am ashamed to say that all I could get was a regular potting mix and I didn't know at the time that I needed to add sand so that is a bit of an issue. I keep the pot elevated.

Over the summer I was unaware that the Deck had created a vacuum under the pot, when I brought her in, in Sept, she was losing water for three day's, we had to put a tarp on the floor it was so bad. She had NO issues then, it was weird. Other than letting her dry out for a Month, I water her when I feel that the soil is dry (Finger test it.)

How old is the mix? Only 1 year, the tree is 3 years (Now)

I fertilize her every 6-8 weeks.

The pot does have drain holes...at lot of them. Plus I put holes in the dirt to get the Oxygen through, I was taught that one by a tree Professional.

No she never had one of those sucker things before that was a new one. She has other's that look like they are about to pop out, but they are much higher up.
    I will take any help possible. Our house is very dry inside during the winter because you have the fires and the heat running (I hate living in a cold area.) So I spry them with water to keep them moist. I cover the heat vent that is right next to them so that it doesn't harm them. I also put ashes in the soil because I know that burnt wood is good for trees. (Yes it is cooled off first lol) Other than all of that, there really is nothing else that I do. SO PLEASE TEACH AWAY. :D Thank you all so so so much for your help.