Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acidic Lemons

Posted by Mike2320 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 17:18

I've got a very prolific lemon tree. The problem is the fruit is bitterly acidic. How do I get the lemons to taste like lemons should?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acidic Lemons

What variety lemon do you have? Can you post a photo?
Could it be that you just haven't left the fruit on the tree long enough? Do you fertilize it regularly?

o

I have no idea what variety. I will post a pic but they're large, rindy. Just fertilized. The current crop is just turning yellow but previous crops have been on a long time and still come out acidy.

o

Volkamer???

o

It does look like volkameriana; but that is most commonly used for rootstock. It is VERY sour. I considered Volk.. as rootstock for my Meyers but it is slower growing, produces less fruits and larger than Macrophylla; and I don't need any of those factors for my Meyers in the tropics. One advantage Volkameriana has is superior resistance to some diseases.

o

Okay, so nothing to be done about it?

o

First you need to confirm that it is Volkameriana. You can look at the details here: http://idtools.org/id/citrus/citrusid/factsheet.php?name=Volkameriana

Be sure and check all the details. If it is Volkameriana, it won't be edible.

o

It does not appear to fit the characteristics of volkameriana. Fruit isn't as wide vs. length, skin is smoother than indicated, also isn't as large overall as pictured. If it is another variety, is there anything to be done about acid content? Not exactly SOUR as much as very heavily acidic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here