Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oro blancos

Posted by houstontexas123 z9 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 17:22

the 99 ranch grocery store off I-10 katy freeway and Blalock has a large shipment of oro blancos for $.59/lb bought two to try. tasted like lemonade, very juicy. gonna go back later this week to get some more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oro blancos

The last ones I bought were from there and they were so
sour I couldn't eat them. That was about two yrs ago.

John Panzarella says he has tried to grow them at his house in Lake Jackson and they never get sweet enough to eat. My place is about 10 miles from his.

o

Wow. We grow Oroblancos here in the coastal area of San Diego county specifically because they will sweeten up without a lot of heat. They are our "go to" grapefruit (they're actually a hybrid), since standard grapefruits just don't do so well due to our lack of heat/prolonged heat. Mine were so sweet and delicious this year, just amazing. Same with the Melogolds (another hybrid from the identical same cross.) If it gets to 90 here, we're REALLY hot.

Patty S.

o

I have an oro blanco tree (SF bay area) and the fruit is never sweet :( I do have a Chinese Grapefruit (pomelo) that does get sweet though.

o

Well, you're just probably not quite warm enough, w2p2k. It's the pummelo cross that makes the Oroblanco sweet enough to eat here. 100% pummelos should sweeten up without the heat, like a 100% grapefruit cultivar needs. Although, we've been able to grow Rio Red grapefruits here very successfully. And, I'm thinking you probably? have a Mato Buntan pummelo, which is very sweet. The true Chinese pummelo isn't so sweet, and tends to be bitter. It is technically a Chinese pummelo, but comes now from Japan (via Taiwan, and previously and originally from China.) I have one and it is very sweet. They are often sold as a "Chinese pummelo" but really aren't. But, if you got it from Four Winds, it is a Chinese pummelo. Clear as mud??

Patty S.

o
four winds

Thanks for the info Patty. My "Chinese Grapefruit/Pummelo" is from Four Winds. But it's not bitter at all, so maybe it's a Mato Butan after all. My Rio Red Grapefruit is always sour as well, but I guess that's due to the weather.

o

Patty,

I think you get Rio Reds to sweeten up because they like all the sunshine you get in the fall. That may be why Henderson and Ray Ruby do OK here on years even when we have less sun. They all get summer heat.

BTW my trees are now near mid bloom and the fragrance drifts across the street now. It is awesome.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here