Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Asap! Can you please tell me the sweetest seedless easy to peel!

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

Manderine?

Please, does anyone know since I will probably be putting and order in tomorrow?

I would love it to be sweet, easy to peel right of the fruit, and seedless...

Thank you so much!

Comments (17)

• aslan89
    11 years ago

This is not my own picture here but it is the perfect representation of their size.

• tony6
    11 years ago

I vote for Kishu Mandarin. My kids love them and I just bought one 3 weeks ago from a nursery.

• brettay
    11 years ago

Agree on the kishu. It's sweet even in cooler climates. I have also noticed that the fruit quality is still high even when the tree is young, in contrast to most other mandarins that take multiple years to reach a high quality.

-Brett

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

Get a (GRAFTED) Meiwa. You don't peal them, they make no mess, store on tree all winter, their seeds are nutritious , And they handle cool indoor house conditions well.

Do not get an Indio or Nippon manderinnquat.

root-stock choices. click on

http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1998%20Vol.%20111/180-182%20(FERGUSON).pdf

• Ryan
    11 years ago

Seedless kishu is always highly recommended. I have one and I like it a lot. Its hard to argue against. However, The size is a huge disadvantage, don't believe otherwise. They are a great flavored fruit and no doubt good for kids. you dont want to eat just one, so there is a lot of peeling and pith sometimes because you wont waste the time segmenting it.

I would recommend Ponkan or Page. Some of the best tasting fruit in the mandarin family I believe. Unlike Kishu which is very sweet, they tend to have a more complex flavor. Ponkans on a good year are some of the best citrus, floral & sweet. Page is rated by some of the most respected citrus growers as the best tasting citrus out there, just look at its parentage.

• aslan89
    11 years ago

Well I wouldn't say the size is a disadvantage. They are too tasty to pass up :) Thats just my opinion of course but the second I saw Kishu mandarin fruit in a grocery store I knew I had to have a tree lol. They are so tasty, perfect size if you want them on salads, they are practically bite sized and super sweet.

• krismast
    11 years ago

Meyermike,

Are you ordering from four winds? They currently have a 13% off coupon code for orders over 40 dollars before shipping prices, just for your information. If you are, I will share it here.

Kristopher

• kingwood
    11 years ago

If you want something similar to Kishu, but larger, get a "Gold Nugget". I maintain citrus in Texas and Louisiana. Have two Kishu, and one Page in Houston. Have Gold Nugget and Tango in Louisiana. Page is very good, but Gold Nugget is just as good or better. I prefer the Tango to all the previous, it is very sweet and rich, in addition to being seedless.

• baconquest
    11 years ago

He's got the itch!!

I've heard great things about the Kishu as well... I can't believe how small they are! I'll second poncirus on the Meiwa kumquat, not that its what you were asking for but my tree is doing very well a little less than one month in, and produces the most delicious kumquat!

Did you end up taking a Logee's run last week? The storm turned out to dump 2' on us in Worcester, wasn't sure if it foiled your plans!

-Mike B

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

The only mandarin I grow is a Pixie; grows fast, good size, easy peel, seedless, and nice balanced flavor.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, Thanks everyone!!!! I am going to order tomorrow from
    4 Winds !

Kristopher, how do I get that coupon? I really appreciate this. Thank you so much!:-)

Mike..What's up? Yes I did go and I had that Kumquat in my hand, that along with the one that the other Mike has, the Kushu I think it's called. I thought their trees to be a bit on the skimpy size and I didn't want to pay 30 buck for ones that I could get twicw as big from 4 Winds.

I did get one citrus though, that not even 4 Winds sells or anyone that I could find. I will share the name with you when I get home to read it.
    That place is beautiful though and lots of choices! It was a blast. Wish you could of came.

Folks, I already have a Kishu, but my problem is getting it to hold on to fruit. Am I suppose to pollinate it? Does it form fruit on its own? I did have one year with lots of fruit, but I can't remmeber if it was because bees were around. Mine is in full bloom now and I am not sure of what to do.

Thanks for all your awesome suggestions and help! I am ordering tomorrow for sure. Just waiting for a call back from 4 Winds Kerry.

Mike

• krismast
    11 years ago

Hi mike! Glad to hear you are ordering from four winds! I was hoping you were! Can't wait to see pics of your new trees :)

The online coupon code is "facebookspecial". Make sure you enter it BEFORE you checkout! Orders over 40 dollars will receive a 13% discount. This coupon code is valid through April.

Hope this helps!

Kristopher

• aslan89
    11 years ago

Hmm, I'm not sure about pollinating it. It's so windy in south Texas and our house is recessed into a grapefruit orchard so there are tons of bees around. On the Kishu in particular I see plenty of other things working on the flowers like miniature looking wasps and several types of flies.

Oh and I saw that coupon code on Facebook. Use: facebookspecial for the 13% discount on any order over $40

Also, since you already have a Kishu, my second vote would be for a Page mandarin. I have heard many good things about it here on this forum.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Okay, I am finally getting my head above water, after a weekend of bridal mania. I hosted the west coast bridal shower for my daughter, and of course all attendees (mainly my 3 daughters and their matching 3 nieces) insisted on me cooking everything from scratch, so foolishingly I capitulated. I can't believe that my knees, feet and back are still barking, lol! So, Mike, no, no pollinating needed, Kishu is parthenocarpic. It will set on it's own, give it a season or two. And, I would definitely would vote for the Page mandarin (raelly a hybrid, 3/4 mandarin, 1/4 grapefruit). Deliciously sweet, not very acidic and makes the best mandarin juice hand's down. The Pixie John mentioned is also an excellent, sweet, low acid, low seed, small mandarin, but more similar to the Kishu. the Page is very different, and extremely juicy. Let us know what you end up with, and let us know what the cultivar is you bought!

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

When your tree comes in could you post it's picture on this thread. I would like to see it

Steve

• aslan89
    11 years ago

I'm so jealous of you all over in California with wonderful mail order citrus nurseries and varieties I can't even buy! Maybe I should be job hunting in California instead of Texas ;)