Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

UPDATE to my "Emergency Citrus Saving" thread - and a thank you!

cfox248
10 years ago

Hey all!

So you might remember me posting frantically about my lemon tree in this thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320033722011.html?21

Well, just an update - the tree is looking awesome (considering what happened!) I left for spring break and before I did gave it some water, a spray with Neem and well wishes, hoping it'd be okay when I got back. And it was! The leaves are still going strong. I only found ONE scale after those 6 days on the tree, hiding under a lower branch my mister probably didn't get.

I came back with a bigger pot, better soil, and some determination. I took it out of the old pot and to be quite honest I don't know how it didn't have root rot. The dirt was packed so hard it was like clay. I shook out as much as I could from the roots and took the opportunity to give it one really good spray with alcohol and Neem before planting. It's in a 12 inch pot now, much deeper, and in a good mix of MiracleGro's "cactus, palm and citrus" soil and perlite. Many drainage holes in bottom. The poor tree doesn't have a huge root system (probably due to that clay-dirt!) but now it's got plenty of room to grow! I also clipped off all the dead branches. Looks much cleaner.

It's still in that sunny window with the humidifier. The grow light was off all of break, but it seemed to do okay, and it's on the normal 12 hours again. After planting I gave it another spray of rubbing alcohol/neem. I do NOT plan to let those bugs back in, I think it might become regular preventative maintenance for me to spray a few times per month.

Here are some pictures. I wanted to thank you all again - the tree is somewhat sentimental in a stupid way. This last summer my local garden center became my second home as I tried to learn to grow herbs -a HUGE place with around 17 greenhouses, family run for over 100 years, VERY friendly staff (and a nice resident parrot). It really furthered my love of gardening - especially edible gardening, and really opened my eyes to the bigger picture. Sadly, they were recently forced to close their doors, and this lemon tree is all I have left from them! I have no real attachment to the store itself, nor did I know the owners, but my tree is a fond memory of that summer and the time spent there. I'd be so sad to lose it.

here are some pictures of the replanting process!

The rootball:
{{gwi:575169}}

The old dirt. Ick!
{{gwi:575170}}

All these little twigs were dead, so off they come! This was a favorite hiding spot of Scale - Not anymore!
{{gwi:575171}}

the new soil-perlite mix
{{gwi:575172}}

In his new digs!
{{gwi:575173}}

The recent leaf growth!
{{gwi:575175}}

THANK YOU all who offered advice!

Comments (7)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am happy things turned out for you, but keep an eye on things. Citrus is known for shooting humans in the back as soon as you let your guard down. Citrus trees simply can not be trusted for a moment.

Steve

• garret_87
    10 years ago

Great to see some improvement! I used the same soil method and am having good results. I know some people on here are fancy with soil mixes, but a simple bag of citrus soil and extra perlite seemed easier. As far as spraying the tree, you are right to use Neem at recommended dosages. I almost want to say that you could do without the alcohol. Neem works wonders on its own. Spraying twice a month would be a bit much. You should give it a "shower" once or twice a month with plain water in the bathtub, but only spray when there is something wrong. You can spritz with water whenever you want. Your tree will love any extra humidity. In the future invest in a bottle of liquid seaweed and mix that into a spray bottle as a "treat" for Mr. Meyer. He will benefit from foliage feeding once a month. That is also a natural deterrent against sap sucking insects (at least one of my gardening books says so). I would still expect to get scale or spider mites every winter. Or both.

My meyer lemons trunk is pot marked with dead knots of previous branches that totally died back. This is actually the first winter my tree hasnt died back - and im glad because I have put in a lot more effort this year. Being in a cold zone it takes a lot more ambition to keep a lemon tree happy and healthy - it would have to be something sentimental to you or it would get forgotten.

Your trees new growth looks good. It will take some time, but more growth is on the way. Any older leaves that are left will probably get dropped at some point as the tree makes way for new growth to replace them. Citrus will drop their older leaves anyways to replace with new better working ones - I think any single leaf has about 1 year of working life.

Do you have a temp/humidity meter? If not I would highly recommend purchasing one. For me its the easiest way to know for sure if those needs are being met. Its hard to tell how much a humidifier actually raises ambient humidity around your tree, but keep in mind that if you are getting 'shocks' in the house then it is way too dry for a lemon.

Enjoyed your update and pics! Keep up with the tree daily and I hope my advice doesn't turn you into a crazy citrus lady! ;-)

• cfox248
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both! I have not let my guard down yet. I doubt I ever will again, after that incident. I WILL keep this tree alive!

The alcohol is not part of the general planned maintenance - it was just for the scale. I'd read that regular neem oil won't kill them because of their shell or something, so you had to spray alcohol to get through the shell and THEN the neem. That may be wrong, but I thought just in case... and I have not seen another scale - so I think I won the battle (for now)! The new leaves don't look to be being bothered by pests either.

I've ordered some of the Dyna Grow fertilizer recommended on the forum here. Should be here tomorrow. I've never fertilized the poor thing except with some general miracle gro last summer so I'm sure it'll enjoy that as well when it comes time to fertilize. (I may wait, as I think the soil and perlite has fertilizer added).

I don't have a humidity meter (I did just order a soil moisture meter, should be here tomorrow... Should have added that to the list!) but the little humidifier is literally sitting at the base of the pot of the tree. It's a little USB one, about the size of a tennis ball, and it runs throughout the day. No shocks in the house, so that's good! As it's slooowly starting to melt, it's getting more humid outside - and inside. I'll pick one up next time I go to Home Depot.

I still fully expect both scale and spider mites, and I will keep my eyes peeled for those buggers. When its outside those aren't a problem, but we sadly have a longer winter than summer. I'm so excited to be able to put him outside... but as I look out the window, it's SNOWING. ugh.

• garret_87
    10 years ago

Pretty soon you will need a DIY toolbox to hold all your Meyer Lemon supplies! I have bought my supplies here and there over the last few years as I need them, and I am on a budget so I cant buy anything and everything all at once for the tree. Im sure you can relate.

The moisture meter hasnt failed me yet, though checking with my finger is cheaper it is not precise. Water when the meter reads 50% or below. Lately that has been every 3-4 days for me, but my tree is also actively growing right now. Yours could probably go longer?

Your humidifier sounds cute, good thinking keeping it at the base of the tree. If at all possible next winter you should get a larger one. Check thrift stores that's where I got my small cool mist humidifier.

I am disappointed that the weather has been so crummy this winter. Last year today my tree was going outside every day and inside at night. It also snowed here today :(

I think you will be much more prepared next winter and your tree will thrive accordingly. New problems can/will arise but its all a learning process.

• cfox248
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's me pretty much - buy as I go, as I need. I'm pretty dang good at just knowing when something needs water, but my succulent garden has a layer of decorative gravel sprinkled on top and so I need the moisture meter for that anyways unless I want to dig the rocks out and mess it up. Soon I'll have enough to care for any plant I own!

I am looking into a bigger humidifier, but I will have to see. I live with two other roommates and we split bills, so I don't want something that sucks electricity and takes up the rest of the counterspace - that's why I just have the one fluorescent hanging grow light and the small humidifier. If anything I can chalk up and pay the extra if it comes out to too much, I suppose. Will have to do some research.

And you're lucky - last summer we had snow into May. After classes were out - mid may - I remember being at work and just groaning at yet another night of driving home in 15 degrees in the snow. It wasn't sticking at that point, but it'd stay into the next day and make the roads terrible. Really hoping this spring will be different! According to the farmer's almanac online April is supposed to be warmer than average. *cross fingers

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

It was 10 degrees here this a.m. Disgusting! It scares me to think that I have to leave my plants in another month or two before they can even be outside..

I do have one bit of advice.... That is a great move you made adding perlite. Very good. Just don't forget that anything with a majority of peat can break down very rapidly. Keep a close eye on that mix and make sure it will holds its structure through next winter.

Another thing. Citru DO NOT need humidity to thrive and in fact I don't provide any for mine no matter how dry it is. They grow perfectly fine if their watering needs and moisture levels are maintained well in a very good mix with a good amount of light.
    Buying humidiers are a waste of money and time in my case since they did just fine without.
    The bugs will still come even if the sit is humid if your trees are not healthy especially in winter.
    But, any plant including citrus although not needed will appreciate humidity even though.

Pray for a speedy spring will you?

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

It was 10 degrees here this a.m. Disgusting! It scares me to think that I have to leave my plants in another month or two before they can even be outside..

I do have one bit of advice.... That is a great move you made adding perlite. Very good. Just don't forget that anything with a majority of peat can break down very rapidly. Keep a close eye on that mix and make sure it will holds its structure through next winter.

Another thing. Citru DO NOT need humidity to thrive and in fact I don't provide any for mine no matter how dry it is. They grow perfectly fine if their watering needs and moisture levels are maintained well in a very good mix with a good amount of light.
    Buying humidiers are a waste of money and time in my case since they did just fine without.
    The bugs will still come even if the sit is humid if your trees are not healthy especially in winter.
    But, any plant including citrus although not needed will appreciate humidity even though.

Pray for a speedy spring will you?

Mike