Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kumquat Seeds?

Posted by BigN_187 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 18:14

I recently got some kumquats from my uncles tree that he has had for years. As I ate them I noticed they had seeds. Most were dried up and most likely "duds", but I did find a few that were actually thick and sort of green and healthy looking. I planted two in soil without soaking them at all, however they did sit out and dry overnight. Will the seeds still be good? The other two dried out overnight as well, but I am soaking them for two days, tomorrow is the day I will plant them. Are any of these likely to grow at all? I realize they will take years to bear fruit, I'm just wanting to know if they'll grow at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kumquat Seeds?

Probably will, If you remove the outer hull and keep the seed and soil moist at 90 deg, they will sprout real fast.

picture of one year old meiwa kumquat tree from seed

o

The seeds take 2 to 3 weeks to germinate. Keep it in a hot location near to the heater. Use seed starting mix.

o

How did your seed come out. This is what you can expect by using a good potting soil mix and an area that gets good light.

KUMQUAT MEIWA 2013, 3-20 B photo IMG_3677_1_zps59097ca9.jpg
clink on the meiwa kumquat tree pic to access my photobucket display, then use left and/or right arrow key on your keyboard to navigate.

the soil mix needs to be very porous. I use 65%-rotted leave, 20%-riverbank sandy soil, 10%-crushed brick pieces, 5%-hardpan clay. This soil drains very well and gives the support the tree needs. These material are all readily found scrapes and are free even in large quantities.

My pots are small and deep. The bottom of the container is usually wet and slimy, because the water sets there and causes root rot in kumquat tree roots. Your kumquat tree will grow better if the bottom of it's container is out of reach of the roots. In the sumer I place my tree in container with no bottom and let the tree root go into the ground. This way there is no slimy build up as there is no surface at the bottom.

My containers have many drain holes to let extra water pass through and promote air circulation. Some pictures of containers for citrus. I also use a hair dryer to aerate the root as seen in the picture albums below.

7 week old Nagami kumquat tree getting warm fresh oxogen to roots photo IMG_3618_1_zps57ab99ef.jpg

Left 2 right Poncirus trifoliata left 2 buckets,  hardy chicago fig with nagami& sweet lee seedlings,  Black bucket has Meiwa kumquat under bucket lignt photo IMG_3607_zpsbaa3260b.jpg

the link in the text will lead you to a 8 meg-pix slide show of the meiwa kumquat tree from seed

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile/5862762593941435714?banner=pwa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here