Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantboylol

Should I cut off this limb from the plant?

plantboylol
10 years ago

The right one. http://i.imgur.com/khqB8y6.jpg
Here is a bigger picture: http://i.imgur.com/Xnfu9gL.jpg

If I cut it off, will the plant still be safe? Will it help it grow faster because I feel like that part of the plant isn't going to grow much. That was the original limb then the other part sprouted and ever since then, that original one stopped growing. Right now it's starting to grow on top but still slowly.

Please help thanks

Comments (10)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

When you ask questions here, please, at least give us a CHANCE to give you an educated answer. We are not magicians or soothsayers.

What variety is your tree? Do you know what rootstock it is planted on?.. the "limb" you show is from very close to the bud union; it could be the same as your tree and be a watersprout, or it could be a sucker from the rootstock.

Absent better information; and because it has such big spines, if it were my tree, I would cut it off; but if it were MY tree, I would know a helluva lot more about it than what you give us here.

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

from the pictures I would cut it off.

• puglover2
    10 years ago

From the photo, yes, I would cut it off.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

What kind of citrus tree is this? If it is a Meyer lemon, this is its normal growth habit - bush-like. Depends on the cultivar, and what type of shape you're after. It doesn't appear to be rootstock growth, but scion growth to me. But, up to you. If you're after a more tree-like canopy, I would prune the branch off at the trunk. If not, I would leave it. Also, you can upload your photos to a photo sharing site, then copy and paste the HTML code right into the body of your message, thus embedding your photos right into your message. A little easier for the busy folks on this list to see your photos, than having to copy and paste the URL to each photo into a new browser window.

Patty S.

• plantboylol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's an orange plant. I'm not sure what kind, I just planted a seed after eating one and it grew.

When you say cut it at the trunk, should I leave an inch or go as close to it as possible??

Thanks for the help.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Alright!! It is a seedling orange! That explains the big thorns and also means that the branch you are asking about is not a sucker from rootstock. So, if you want to cut it, cut it. If you want to leave it, leave it. If you decide to cut it, cut it close to the main trunk; there should be natural "collar" that you can see; leave that and cut at the edge of the collar. If it were mine, I would probably prune the new branch near the top, which will cause it to branch and also stimulate other branches to grow. BTW, your plant looks very healthy.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Okay, then it's not grafted. This would simply be a lower branch, and if this is not the form you're after, feel free to prune that second branch away at the trunk. Close to the trunk, but not in the branch collar. Do NOT leave an inch "stub".

Patty S.

• plantboylol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help.

I had the plant for 2 and a half years now!!

• plantboylol
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I cut it today as you can see on the bottom. I hope it grows faster now, it's looking so gorgeous.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Very nice looking tree. I got 13 seed grow trees. 3 blood orange, 4 sweetlee tangerine, 3 poncirus trifoliata, 2 nagami kumquat, 1 meiwa kumquat, The trees can grow very well and some are pathetic. click link to see my sweetlee trees and click on any fingernail to enlarge

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5961857381151877457?banner=pwa