Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to handle grapefruit seedlings

Posted by dimitrig SoCal z10a/21 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 19:01

My girlfriend gave me four grapefruit seeds she obtained from a grapefruit she ate. The mother plant was planted in the 1930's or even before and from what I know of its origins it is probably not a commercial hybrid. I managed to germinate all four seeds. I gave one of the seedlings to my mother-in-law when it was a year old and about 6 inches high. She managed to kill it. However, I still have the the other three growing in containers.

They are now two years old and about two feet tall. Last year one of them even flowered, but there was no fruit. My questions are:

1. At what point do I cut the tap root? I expect to keep these in containers for life.

2. Do they need to be topped or pinched or otherwise pruned? Even though they are growing well, they aren't really branching in any way. Will that happen later? Right now growth is strictly upright. One of them has a branch bear the base. The other two are single stems. The mother plant was well-branched in form.

3. Is there anything else I should know about growing citrus from seed in containers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to handle grapefruit seedlings

I dont believe removing the tap root is all that necessary. At least I have never seen anyone advocate for it to be done. I know bonsai growers encourage it to promote finer roots, but I dont see many people talk about it on larger container trees.

I have 3 year old lemon seedlings that branched on their own but pruning the top should encourage it to sprout lateral branches.

caring for seedlings, cuttings, and grafted trees in containers is all relatively the same. Provide them a good draining medium, give as much sun as you can, water when they dry out a bit, re-pot and root prune when required(every 1-3 years or so) and fertilize regularly with a good soluble fertilizer that either has the micro elements or provide them with another source. Thats pretty much the basics.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here