Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I feed my Calamondin orange tree

Posted by diddywy2 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 19:37

I have a Calamondin orange tree that I have been tending to for the last four years. I put it out on my patio in June and bring it back inside in September. It looks pretty healthy and it sometimes get flowers but the flowers wither away and no fruit follows. I've been feeding it the same fish food fertilizer that feed all my other houseplants but I need to know if there is something better I should be feeding it. I have not gotten fruit since the first year I bought the plant and I miss my little tart oranges. Please help me get this tree making fruit again. Please

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I feed my Calamondin orange tree

Diddy, use Citrus fertilizer..If you can't find it locally, check out Ebay..There's a nusery, I believe it's Sunshine Nursery that sells citrus fertilizer.
Fish fertilizer isn't enough for citus needs.
Sun is important too. Set your Calamondin in the sunniest part of the house. Then outdoors weather permitting..Toni

o
RE: What should I feed my Calamondin orange tree

I use Peters Professional mix for acid loving plants, or MirAcid. Both are widely available. I mix about a half teaspoon per half gallon and fertilize every two or three weeks during the winter, spring, and fall (less in the summer, since I am away!). I agrees with Hopeful that sunlight is important. Your Calamondin should set fruit reliably, without any need for pollinators, so the fact it hasn't suggests it is somehow unhappy. The most likely cause is poor watering.

Watering before the tree gets stressed is crucial, since stress can cause fruit drop. My Calamondin, like some of my other citrus, shows early stress by slightly curling its leaves (from the edges in toward the center, so the leaves almost begin to look like they are trying to turn into cigars). When I see this, I know I have gone at least a day too long between waterings.

Temperature should not be an issue: trees in citrus groves endure extreme variations in the spring months, and still set fruit reliably.

Light intensity may also play a role. And possibly the lack of pollinating insects, but I think Calamondins set fruit relatively reliably indoors.

Good luck!

Don

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here