Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to help my lemon tree? over/under watered??

Posted by nihal Morocco (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 19:50

Hi,
I have just returned from a 10 day vacation to find that my previously healthy lemon tree is doing very poorly; the leaves are all pale and droopy, and the few fruit growths are tiny, as if they were dwarfed lemons. it has grown some flowers but even they fall off without blossoming.
This year it has rained VERY heavily, more than usual, and my guess is the tree has suffered from the excess (it is potted). The weather over the past few days has become very warm, almost summer like. The soil is fairly humid but not soaking.
How would I go about drying out the soil? Should I fertilize the tree (which would require watering it)? If so, should I make the earth more or less acidic?
I live in Morocco so we don't have any of the specialized products available in the US : I DO have some special citrus fertilizer, but to alter the soil PH I would need to use vinegar or equivalent. Home stuff.

Any ideas on how to save it? It's an otherwise lovely tree....

thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to help my lemon tree? over/under watered??

How big is your tree? How big is the pot?
Drooping leaves is a sign of lack of water reaching the leaves. This can be due to dry soil, or root damage which can be caused by overwatering. So you have to work out which it is.
Are you absolutely sure that the soil is damp throughout? Sometimes a full leaf canopy prevents much rain reaching the soil surface, even after heavy rain. So the top layer may be damp but the rest bone dry. It can be difficult to wet certain dry soils - water just flows through without wetting. Dig down a bit to check. This is easy to remedy - just stand pot in water for several hours.
If the problem is root-rot due to overwatering you have a worse problem. You could try re-potting in drier free-draining compost while cutting off any rotten roots. The leaf canopy should be reduced at the same time by pruning as the damaged roots can't support so much. You could try treating soil with the French fungicide Aliete. And prevent further water reaching the surface until it dries. Or you could just hope it improves as summer approaches.
Fertilising won't do any good until you have sorted the drooping leaves.
Also check for any root-eating pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here