Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cara Cara Red Navel

Posted by Randy31513 Georgia 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 19:53

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

When I went to the nursery, they had Red Navels so thing Cara Cara and Red Navel are the same I got the Red Navel. I will plant it in the ground in the morning.

It is going to work out because my Satsuma had out grown its winter shelter so I will move it to the Red and build a bigger one for the Satsuma come fall.

Here is a link to pictures of my freeze protection system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Freeze Protection

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cara Cara Red Navel

That's a brilliant freeze protection system, Randy! Very impressed. I bet it works extremely well. Looks like you have the clear wrap all the way to the ground, a key in keeping the warm air "sealed" in. Well done.

Patty S.

o

Thank you Patty. It does work well and is fairly economical.

I was reading that toping these trees to control the height is not a bad thing to keep the lower branches productive. I know very limited pruning is best but I do want to control the size of the tree to say 12 feet tall.

What do you and others think about controlling size of the Red?

Second, what is the current thinking on using a pruning sealant on citrus?

Trying to think ahead on this tree.

Thanks

o

Well, depends a bit. What rootstock is your Cara Cara on? If it's on semi-dwarfing rootstock, you may not need to top, but all of my citrus were topped at one time during their development by the grower. They are all topped at about 2 to 3 feet. No sealant needed. It would help if you posted a photo of the Cara Cara, and we can tell you whether you need to top, if it has been topped, etc. Also, let us know if you have a standard, semi-dwarf or dwarf tree.

Patty S.

o

Patty I put up two pictures of the new Red on my blog linked below. The rootstock is Carrizo Citrange.

As you can see it is not a well balanced tree but coming out the more bare side is a good branch that should bring it back in balance. I plan on turning the bare side South when I plant the tree to give it the best sun.

I want to keep it as close as practical to the Southern side of my house for cold protection. Do you think I can go as close as 12-15 feet?

It has blooms and a few have set fruit. I think I will pinch those off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Home Orchard blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here