Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing leaves

Posted by patty4150 SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 30, 06 at 20:00

I'm having trouble with my young valencia orange tree. The veins are still green, but the leaves have some yellow - seems to be a problem all over the tree.

Is this chlorosis? Do i treat it with nitrogen, or with iron, or with something else, or with a combination?

I had used miracle grow fertilizer spikes, so I was surprised to see yellow leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: these are the spikes we used

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing leaves

First of all I would check the Ph of your soil. If the Ph is incorrect it can lock up the nutrients. This will prevent the tree from using them. Citrus like a Ph of 5.5 to 7.0
Andi

o

Patty, if veins are pronounced dark green and inside is yellow, if it were my tree I'd treat w/iron.
To be honest I don't care for the spikes..I prefer either liquid or granuals, something that's going to fertilize the entire rootball..when you use spikes/stick it usually works on the one area.
I have read this in several plant books. (not only for citrus but other types of plants.)
Did you stake the plant in one spot or break up in different locations? Toni

o

Hi Patty,

This link might help. It shows the various effects of all types of mineral deficiencies...

http://www.flyingdragoncitrusnursery.com/deficiency/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Deficiency Images and Explanations

o

citrusboy:
Thanks for uploading the link. I save it for future ref. That is very helpful and good to the point.

o

Thanks!

According to the link, it's definitely iron.

I'll check the pH.

If the pH is high, can I apply sulfur and maybe work it into the top few inches of soil? Or is there a better treatment?

o

Elemental Sulfur can harm the tree is used improperly and is slow acting. You can use an acid such as sulfuric to accomplish the same in a shorter amount of time but the same risks apply. I would only use a small amount of acid added to the irrigation water.

When you check your soil pH you should also check the pH of the irrigation water. The more accurate testers and rather expensive but you can have a lab test your samples a lot cheaper. They would have better equipment and accurate results. Its also possible to use a topical application of iron sprayed on the canopy of the tree. The latter is a quick bandaid approach and will not give lasting results.
Andi

o

If your soil pH is too high, you could try iron sulfate--two birds with one stone...

HTH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here