Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reptileaddiction24

Next Size up From 5 Gallon

ReptileAddiction
9 years ago

I recently bought 2 new citrus trees that are in 5 gallon nursery containers. I am growing these ones in pots because I am running out of space in the ground. I am wondering what size pot you go up to from a 5 gallon because I am having trouble finding something that is bigger but not too big and not ridiculously expensive. If you have measurements or a link that would be great. The plants are pretty rootbound so I want to get them repotted soon. I have 1 container that would work but I am not fond of the way it looks. How much deeper do the new containers have to be? I have some that are wider but not deeper that would work too. I already have my mix ready to go.

Comments (15)

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

The next size up in nursery pots is 7 gallon, then 10, then 15. A lot of good nursery's sell new clean black pots in those sizes. I'd go up either to a 7 or 10. Sometimes 10 can be found in a shorter squat size. They should be about $10-$12.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I work at a nursery so I know about the nursery pots. I am talking about more decorative pots. Thank you though.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How much deeper of a pot should I go? I have a perfect pot but it is about the same height as the 5 gallon. The trees are pretty low in their current pots though.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How much deeper of a pot should I go? I have a perfect pot but it is about the same height as the 5 gallon. The trees are pretty low in their current pots though.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Do you have any CVS pharmacies nearby? They sell large decorative and semi-decorative containers in my area.

Josh

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Citrus feeder roots are normally found in the first 18 inches of soil; so I would think wider, not deeper is better.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

John, in my case, you are right!

But I have always wondered how in the world 4Winds gets their roots as long as they do..Everytime I get one barerooted from them, the root mass from the trunk drops about 2 feet! They are grown in containers which gets me.

• tantanman
    9 years ago

I would get a pot the size of a 7 gal nursery pot if you want the tree to bear fruit. At most go to a 10 gal size. If you want foliage, get a larger pot.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what they do exactly, but I can tell you they make their own soil mix. I got to go on a tour of their Fremont, CA location.
    They have a few giant two story sized piles of what looked like course ground bark, another giant pile of I think finer ground compost and another of small pumice/lava type rock. So it looked like a rather course mix with just a bit of finer compost. They also use slow-release fertilizer the whole time they're grown out.

The place is amazing to see, several greenhouses of budded new plants. We were not allowed inside those because of possible contamination, but could peek through a clear window.
    And then lots of open sided green houses to grow out a bit more, then they're put out in the fields to grow the rest of the way to market size.
    Looked like most of the tall 5" liner pots were mostly in the open sided green houses. I guess they ship them after that, I only saw the 5 gallon size outside, those are destined for the local retail nurseries.

It was the first thing built in the area back in the late 40's now it's surrounded on all sides by very expensive neighborhoods. Kind of strange but neat to see a huge production nursery surrounded by suburbia, but it's still one of the best areas weather wise to grow citrus babies!
    Sorry to hijack your thread. : )

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No problem :). What are your opinions on clay vs plastic? The trees will be watered every few days via micro sprinklers in the pots. I live in southern california so they might dry out too quickly in clay. My house also backs up to a golf course so if clay containers get hit they are obviously ruined.

Do you think this would be a good size to go to from a 5 gallon?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-17-29-32-in-Copper-Plastic-Medley-Planter-DP690C-WC/202964906?MERCH=RV-_-RV_gm_pip_rr-3-_-NA-_-202964906-_-N#specifications

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Here is a great article about clay and plastic pots..You may want to read before you make your choice...

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay verses plastic

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

My plans for my 5 gallon tree are larger pots for all.. Sweetlee tangerine trees #1, #2, & #3 are going to go in wooden square bottomless pot 1.5 FT by 1.5 FT by 1 FT deep. See the picture bellow. The pot bottom has a screen in it to hold the soil mix in. It will be placed on a honey come grid to hold the weight. Water will pass through, and the mix will breath. Sweetlee #4 is going into 55 gallon half drum. When I bring it in for the winter i will plant plants near the bottom of the drum to use up excess water to keep the soil fresh enough for the tree. My kumquats are going permanently in ground. Notice that the wood frame pots can have hefty handles attached for easy carry for 2 or 4 people.

Some of this might work for you. I have best growth with bottomless pots and in ground trees.

Steve

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Could you just drill a lot of holes in the bottom and get a similar, yet less effective effect? That looks like plywood. Doesn't it get ruined by the water? What are your opinions of going to a much larger pot when using a very well draining mix?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

This is what I am currently using and I drilled holes like this through the sides for winter time. It has worked well. I will do the same to my 55 gallon half drum. you could use sheet metal for the bottom and use a nail set and punch holes downward through it. This would cone the metal downward to the opening and funnel the water out each hole. The plywood will disintegrate in about 3 - 5 years and the tree will be ready to pot up to a 2 ft by 2 ft box. A plywood bottom would cake shut the hole and you wound not get drainage. The bottom material has to b thin or the hole have to be big if the bottom material is thick. The wood box can be painted to be quit attractive.

{{gwi:562609}}
    This worked great and it has a carry handle. I cary it behind me with both hands. this method is very balanced and easy on the back.

• ReptileAddiction
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I might end up buying a plastic pot then drilling a lot of holes in the bottom. I like the box idea but I do not think i have the time to make a decent looking one.