Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austin1227

Whats the best smelling orange blossom?

austin1227
17 years ago

My Fiance and I are about to buy a home together. We want to plant an orange tree out front. What is the best option for a great smelling blossom and a sweet orange come harvest time?

Comments (8)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Austin, go to the blue pages of your phone book and under county government look for the Univ. of Florida county extension agent. It is a free service and he can tell give you all types of good advice about ornamentals and crops which do well in your area.

• austin1227
    Original Author
    17 years ago

TSmith- In your post I must have missed your personal OPINION on a great smelling blossom.

Gardenweb is a forum to discuss thoughts and opinions. We all have extension offices, but some us like to talk and hear the thoughts of others.

• gardner_dragon
    17 years ago

I have over 30 citrus in bloom and can't say which one smells best. They all smell great. When you enter my yard you are almost overcome with the sweet smell of citrus blossoms. There are some that say they can't perceive a fragrance to the citrus blossoms of certain varieties but these are usually the ornamentals.
    Andi

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Hey, Austin. I see Garden_Dragon has responded without providing an opinion. Are you going to admonish Garden_Dragon for not expressing an opinion?

Austin, my opinion is to consult your co-op agent who can give you the "best option" for your area, which is what you asked. You state you are in zone 9. Is that north nearer to Cedar Key and Jacksonville or south nearer the 'Glades? The sweetest tasting or sweetest smelling citrus may not grow in Zone 9. What grows in Indian River county may not grow in Gainesville. I was providing an answer based on information (or lack of) provided by you. 35 years ago there were citrus groves along I-75 in the Gainesville area. Those are gone now, partly due to a few harsh winters. So your answer is like the old saying about real estate : location, location, location. I hope you find a variety which meets your approval.

• gardner_dragon
    17 years ago

My opinion was that I can't tell the difference. They all smell pretty much the same. This also may be due to olfactory overload as I always have a lemon, lime or calamondin in bloom.
    Andi

• lee466
    17 years ago

I have a book on citrus, Marrs has low acid so it will be on the sweet side, it can become seedy if pollinators are grown nearby, it bears from fall to winter, and produces a heavy crop of medium size oranges. Hamlin is also low acid, and nearly seedless, fruit is small, and ripens from fall into winter. I think that all citrus trees have sweet smelling flowers, but I noticed if its an orange it has a slight orange scent, and if its a lemon it has a slight lemon scent, and the same with other citrus.

• orchidguyftl
    17 years ago

I have many citrus here in Ft Lauderdale
    In my opinion, my red valencia has the best fragrance of my oranges

• bencelest
    17 years ago

I can't seem to differentiate the smells of the orange blossoms. They all smell the same to me- nice.
    nd like TS Smith said, just find one that will grow to your area first.
    But be careful, once you start buying, there is no end to it. It's habit forming.