Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on Meyer I planted Jan 22

Posted by JR78 9B USDA 2012 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 21:02

So I have some pictures to show growth progress, I figured if it wasn't for the people helping me out on this forum I probably wouldn't have to great a tree. So everything looks good to me, he did have some stress from the new planting and light change. So you let me know what you all think. I do one question, I have a few branches tat are like spears, not foliage, but it looks like I have new growth and also blossoms too. Do I want to knock off any fruit setting and blooms on these branches to promote foliage growth? Take a look and you experts tell me. Lol

Oh yeah, you can zoom into the pictures for more detail. I also think I got a picture of the thrips, so look at the blooms. Thanks, SO much!

Thanks,
Jon

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on Meyer I planted Jan 22

Looks good, Jon! You need to mulch with some compost and then top with bark mulch to help retain your moisture in your soil if you're in a hot place (like S. Calif, AZ, etc.) Don't knock off the blossoms, the tree will do that all on its own. the leaves will push out. Be sure you've fertilized as that new flush will need the nitrogen. And if you've got thrips (can't tell), then treat accordingly.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by JR78 9B USDA 2012 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 22:08

Yeah, the Thrips are there, just very small. But they are not causing any problems so I'm not worried too much. I did fertilize , the stuff I used only said 1/4 cup for a 3 to 4 feet tall New planting. I thought that seemed low considering it called for 5 to 10 lbs for established trees. But I followed it. I plan to do the same at the end of May.

Thanks for looking. Pleasure as always.

o

looks good, no need to knock off any blooms.

for me, if there are large clusters of fruit on a single branch i like to thin it out, so its not too crowded and so it doesnt weigh down too much as they get bigger.

o

In no time will have the best lemonade ever. When the tree starts producing your freezer will be the trees friend. Zest and juice the ones you don't use fresh to use all year. I zested and juiced nearly three hundred last year.

o

• Posted by JR78 9B USDA 2012 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 13:38

Yeah, I'm looking forward to using these lemons for juice and zest and whatever. I just want to know the hard work will payoff. I like what I see minus the branches with no leaves, but I'm hoping time will fix that. I also have a key lime tree that seems to be doing well also.

I'm not sure when these trees will produce fruit, I just planted them a couple months ago. I have bben told that it takes up to 3 years before they will produce fruit. It seems though that I have fruit setting on both trees. But it's still early, so maybe they will all just fall off.
Let me know what any of you may think.

Thanks, Jon

o

Well, your tree is already probably 2 or 3 years old, Jon, so I suspect it will produce fruit this year for you :-) Just watch that the branches don't get too heavy with fruit, or you'll break branches. Meyers are very prolific producers, so I'm sure you'll get some fruit. And, you can treat your tree with Spinosad to get rid of the thrips which can damage fruit. Just spray in the evening after the bees have gone back to the hive.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here