Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blood orange

Posted by msharifi CA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 21:14

I bought a blood orange tree from Armstrongs and I wanted to ask if it's normal to have light green leaves. I know they have lifetime guarantee.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blood orange

well normal, yes and no. Older leaves will natural turn yellow and fall off. Newer/younger ones usually is a sign of some type of nutrient problem. Im not good at diagnosing that so hold tight, ill get someone.

Mike

o

This is probably a little Nitrogen deficiency. Not uncommon for a tree that is sitting at a nursery for a bit, coming from the grower. No, not normal for a blood orange to have ALL light green leaves, but perfectly normal for all citrus to have new leaves that are lighter green. And, as Mike has also mentioned, older leaves will turn yellow and drop off. Again, perfectly normal. Not sure how long you've had this little tree in the ground, but follow the advice I gave you with your other trees, and you'll be just fine :-)

Patty S.

o

Thank you Mike and Patty New leaves are green but the most of mature leaves are light green.

I got the tree a 2 weeks ago only one left but since my wife likes Blood orange I picked the only one and the leaves were that color so I know it wasn't me installing it wrong or over watering it. I will get follow the advice above :)

I love all type of citrus just to let you guys know what I have :)

Kumquat
oro blanco grapefruit
Valencia Orange
Navel Orange
Sour Orange
meyers improved lemon
Lime - Bearss
Owri Satsuma
Blood orange
and a unknown citrus tree that has never fruited

I love all my trees and I dont want them to get sick etc. :)

o

Great start, Mansoor! Which blood orange did you purchase, was it a Moro? I have two Moros and I really like them a lot. Looks like you've got a nice wide variety going! And don't worry at all about this blood orange, it will aclimate to your yard, and the few pale leaves will green up, or be replaced by new leaves. Citrus are pretty hard to kill in our area!

Patty S.

o

I got Moro How many citrus trees you got? Well my Satsuma tree is not doing too well I hope it recovers soon.

o
RE: Blood orange - my citrus collection

All together I have about 40 different citrus varieties, and about 50 total citrus trees. Your Satsuma will be last to recover, so just make sure you continue to fertilize and do a few foliar micronutrient applications to help it along. Be sure not to over water, too. Sometimes we "over love" our citrus with water :-)

Patty S.

o

Wow Patty you must have a big ranch or something.

I'm doing everything I can to save the tree.

Thanks

o

No, a little over an acre, but well designed and lots of usable space :-) And just to put your mind at ease, none of your trees appear to be in an jeopardy :-) They all actually look quite healthy. They'll all perk up in a month or two, as our weather and soils warm up. So, try not to fret too much. Just enjoy their lovely blossoms as they all begin to bloom for you over the next month or two!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here