Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to remove fruit to get my tree to blossom?

Posted by nat_gardner CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 21:16

We moved in to our home in April of '06 ... the orange tree was full of oranges, but I did not notice it blossoming.

In February of last year (07) we had someone come out and trim all the trees - including the orange tree which was now empty of oranges for the first time since we've moved in.

In the Spring of last year, the tree blossomed ... and it just a few weeks since the oranges (loads of them!) have become ripe.

My question is: Do I need to remove all the oranges in order to get the tree to blossom again? I've been removing a dozen or so every week for our family ... but there are still dozens more. Do I need to remove them? If yes, how soon?

Thanks so much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to remove fruit to get my tree to blossom?

No, you don't need to take all the fruit off. Many kinds of citrus, including many varieties of oranges, hold the fruit for more than 12 months so they have fruit and flowers at the same time or even mature fruit and small new season fruit.

o

Thanks softmentor.

How do I know if our tree is one of those varieties?

We have a mature lemon tree, plus a newly-planted grapefruit tree which are both blossoming while the orange tree isn't. Is that an indicator of anything?

o

Nat Gardner,

I think Softmentor means simply that some trees will hold their fruit for a number of months after it is ripened before it will naturally fall off. For example, a juice orange might have set fruit on blossoms that opened in March of 2007, and those fruit might have ripened in December of 2007, and yet they might very well linger on the tree into May of 2008 if you don't pick them. Despite this, the tree will still flower again in March of 2008, give or take a couple or three weeks, depending on the seasonal conditions.

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you are really stressing the tree that much if you leave part of the previous year's crop on the tree after it starts to flower and set new fruit. The old fruit, already ripe, are probably not drawing that much out of the tree as far as nutrients are concerned.

Of course, eventually the old season's fruit will either fall off, or you will pick it and notice it is past its peak. One thing to remember is that ripe fruit on the tree will possibly raise the risks of insect pests and disease, since things like fruit flies will find the ripe fruit, and fungal diseases will potentially also show up.

Don

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here