Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

My happy lemon tree! Questions first, pics tomorrow.

mcgyvr2009i
10 years ago

Hi guys, you were probably hoping to see some pictures. They will be here shortly. My mother gave me her old laptop which has a camera on it so I will probably have some pictures tomorrow. But for now, I want to say something and then ask a few questions.

My lemon tree appears to be happy and satisfied with the care I am giving it. It went from 6 inches in December of the 21st in 2013 to a dramatic 11 inches today (March 14, 2014). It lets off that defensive smell when you bend or lightly scratch the leaves which to a human comes out as that delicious lemony smell we all enjoy. I just can't believe that my lemon tree is so healthy even though I got it from a lemon I bought at a lemonade stand and that's the last place and most low class you'd ever expect to get a seed that produces a strong healthy plant. It makes me wonder if I'm going to be lucky enough to get lemons from this tree. I'll probably ask that somewhere here in the citrus forum if I ever see flowers in the coming years. Now, onto the questions.

First, are Lemon trees susceptible to root rot? I had my happy lemon tree stand in about a half to full inch of water for the past 24 hours to keep the soil moist longer since I'm entering into my dreaded drought phase where I am watering my plants way less than usual I want to know if letting it sit in that much water will cause the roots to fail?

Second, my lemon tree hasn't had a drop of full sunlight at all in the winter because the only window I can fit it in is in the north-northwestern part of my house. Direct sunlight from that window stops in mid Fall and resumes in mid Spring so it's gone for a total of 2 seasons. I do have it right smack up against the window though so it is still getting bright indirect sunlight. It has stretched a little bit, but not enough for it to bend over without pressure. So, I'm not worried about a sunlight deficiency. In order for it to bend over, someone has to push it, but even then, when you let go, it stands back up, and so fast, that if you put it on video, you could add a "BOING!!!" sound effect to it. lol
This question: (I know I said I'm not worried, but it can't hurt to ask anyway) Can lemon trees survive with that much light for an entire 2 seasons? It's still early march so the sun isn't shining directly in that window yet and I want to know if it is going to make it until the direct sunlight appears.

Third, MY SCALE ACTIVITY IS FINALLY DECREASING!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to throw out all my plants that had scale whether large infestation, or the first signs of one and it really hurts to have done that to all those poor helpless plants but the good news out of that is that I haven't seen any scale insects recently. My most recent problem is my yucca plant which went crazy with scale unfortunately, so I had to trash that. I will still keep an eye out for the next 12 months and make sure there isn't a comeback with a vengeance.
So, my question is what are the odds of my lemon tree getting scale throughout the rest of the treatment even though it's almost completely under control? It's my healthiest citrus and my ONLY lemon tree. I don't want to lose it from this pesky bug.

Fourth, when I thought that it was developing the first symptoms of Scale, I used the same mixture (same proportions) as the mixture that murdered my mexican fan palm, and I covered all the leaves on my lemon tree with it. This was about 4 months ago (the same day I noticed my mexican fan palm dying) and yet my Lemon tree made it through. The leaves that have or had the spray on it are now officially the bottom half of the plant, and since then, I have seen EXTREMELY FAST growth and the three most recently grown leaves are friggen HUGE!!! They are thicker than thick, almost like cardboard, and don't appear to be withering at all. They are even producing that awesome lemony smell and I am in love with this tree!
For the fourth and last question, is there still a chance my lemon tree will die from that spray exposure even though the new leaves are probably consuming all the carbon the plant needs for survival?

I know this ended up a long post, and I apologize. Thanks for any help you can give.

Comment (1)