Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clementine

Posted by DTMF none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 23:02

I Need Help! I have a Clementine tree (yes, I know that they technically are supposed to be sterile, but I managed to sprout pips I found in one), and it is dying! It was growing strong for a year, then the radiator in the room sprung a leak and I think scalded it because it began dropping leaves within days, even after the climate had been stabilized ... and it won't stop! The main stem has begun drying out and turning brown, and the leaves just keep falling! I don't know what to do!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clementine

Clementine mandarins are not "sterile", you can certainly start seeds from a Clementine. However, Clementine madarins are monoembryonic, so you're going to get a hybrid of a Clementine and whatever other citrus happened to be nearby, and pollinated the flower that produced that fruit with the seeds you're planting.

If you would post photos, we can help you a bit better. Have you checked to see if perhaps you're dealing with root rot? Check the roots of your tree to see if they're water logged. If so, I would try to transplant in better-draining potting medium. If you search the forum for "511" mix, you will find the recipe for this mix, which works very well for indoor container citrus. Is it warm enough for you where you live (you do not have your location enter in your "Zone" field) to be able to put your citrus tree outside to get some sunshine? Are you fertilizing, and if so, with what and how frequently? We need more info in order to help you out.

Patty S.

o

I honestly don't know what root-rot would look like... I did notice that the pot it was in was not draining well, because the soil was always moist, so I transplanted it into my greenhouse garden, which drains exceptionally well; it now shares 15 cubic feet of soil (1 part organic compost, 1 part peat, 1 part vermiculite, mildly acidic) with a few radishes and lettuce. I used an 8-11-11 fertilizer monthly when it was in the pot, but I have not fertilized it since the transplant (about 3 weeks). The greenhouse is south-facing, but still only gets about 8 hours of sunlight in the off-seasons, so I augment it with "high-output" T5 grow lamps for two hours in the morning and evening.

o

This is a close up of the main stem.

o

bump

o

You may have been over-fertilizing it. But that wouldn't cause the problem it is having. Part of the problem may be shock from being transplanted and moved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here