Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a Fertilizing Regimen

Posted by Karly30 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 23:07

Hello All,

I am the proud new owner of about 15 various citrus trees. I have recently moved into a house where we are completely redoing the landscaping, and eventually, the new landscape will have lots of lovely citrus. I am in the process of clearing out the old landscaping and improving the soil, so the plants that are destined for the ground will be in pots for at least 6 months. Some of the plants are destined for container life.

All the plants I have were purchased at local So Cal nurseries, and are in either 5 or7 gallon pots. I plan on working on repotting in the 5-1-1 mix after the spring flush is done.

Several of the plants have suffered from nursery neglect, and exhibit a variety of nutrient defeciencies. I have sprayed them all a couple of times with dilute fish emulsion to get rid of any nasties, and fed them the dilute fish emulsion once.

I have Fish Emulsion and Foliage Pro. Please help me come up with a plan to either get the plants green or keep them that way!

Thank You!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting a Fertilizing Regimen

Hummm.

If you plan on keeping them in the old mix for a while, then I would first flush them with new water as much as much you can.

Then I would water them with vinegar and water, one capful a gallon and just let them rest for a week or two until they get use to their new surroundings.

I would also make sure they get good morning and or late afternoon sun for a while. Not sure how hot it gets where you live.

If they are in nursery containers watch for over heating of the roots while the sun hits the pots since I assume they are black plastic ones? Maybe you can try and find a way you can protect the roots from over heating.

Ok, maybe someone will take it from here. Good luck and enjoy:-)

Mike

o
RE: Starting a Fertilizing Regimen

I agree with Mike on giving them a good flushing so you can start with a 'clean slate,' as it were.

The Fish Emulsion doesn't work as well in containers. I'd save it for in-ground applications.

The amount of fertilizer you use will depend on how often you intend to fertilize - every two
weeks, every week, twice a week, et cetera. Many here recommend fertilizing 'Weekly Weakly.'

The 5-1-1 is a wonderful, cost-efficient, easy to use mix.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here