Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jleider_gw

Persian Lime Dropping buds

Jleider
11 years ago

Having a slight problem with my Store bought grafted persian lime. I bought her about a year ago and planted her in the ground. I live on the treasure cost of florida and have had a short winter.

She has been producing flowers, lots of flowers, for months. Tiny new limes develop then fall off within a week. She produced one lime since I have had her shortly after I planted her in the ground. Not sure why the new limes fall off and don't continue to grow.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments (7)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Hard to know without photos and more info, Jleider. How much sun, how frequently are you watering, how frequently are your fertilizing and with what? It's not unusual for young citrus to drop most and even all of their fruits for the first year or two in the ground. If you can provide several photos of the tree, both close up and of the whole tree, that would help.

Patty S.

• Jleider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

She is planted in full sun on an empty lot. She gets watered every few days with the grass. I have not fertilized it at all since i bought it about a year ago. I have also posted some pictures.

• Jleider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up photo

• Jleider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Okay. First thing I would think is maybe a bit of transplant shock, but I can see there is some new flush just starting to push out, so that's encouraging. Secondly, you say "getting watered with the grass". That is disconcerting - is your citrus tree getting sprinkled with the lawn sprinklers? If so, this will eventually be the demise of your tree. Citrus do not like to have their trunks continually watered by lawn sprinklers. Instead of planting your citrus tree in the middle of a lawn, where it will get sprinkled, and, also have to complete with the grass for nitrogen (and lose), I would move your tree to bed where these is NO grass anywhere within about 3 to 6 feet of the tree, and where you can set up microsprinklers or a drip to a well. Also, be sure to move the mulch away from the trunk, so you don't end up with bark damage from water being help up against the trunk.

Patty S.

• Jleider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ hoosierguilt Thanks for that advise. I would like to keep it where she is if at all possible. I will try to reposition my sprinkler when i water so the lime does not get so much water. I will also move back some of the mulch around the truck. What about fertilizer, could she need some to help with blooming? Some one also told me I might need another citrus to help with pollination. I would think that being outside that Mother Nature would take care of that on its own. I know my neighbor across the way has a citrus and it blooms all on its own.

Thanks again.

• Jleider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, after some research on the web I think I may have found the problem. I found something called Post Bloom fruit drop. Postbloom fruit drop (PFD) is caused by the fungus Colletotrichum acutatum. To bad everywhere I read it talks about some crazy math formula on how many flowers it will affect. Even worse they say nothing about a treatment or how long it will last.

Any ideas or thoughts on this post bloom fruit drop?

Here is a link that might be useful: post bloom fruit drop info