Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelley_h_gardener

Buying a Harvey lemon tree

shelley_h_gardener
13 years ago

Any ideas on where I can find a Harvey lemon tree online? I have searched but have not had any luck.

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What state are you in Shelley? This is a Florida variety I think. If you're not in Florida, you might find this variety a little more difficult to locate.

Patty S.

• shelley_h_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in Louisiana. I am finding it really hard to locate one. I had a ponderosa but it did not fare well through the winter. Is Harvey the only cold hardy lemon tree?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

A Meyer lemon tends to be more hardy, most likely due to mandarin or orange in it's background (it's a cross between a lemon and a mandarin or sweet orange). But for you in Louisiana, if you're not in citrus zone 1, you're going to have issues with cold temps and citrus unless you're in a microclimate that reduces your freezes. You may be better off keeping your citrus in containers, and moving them inside during the really cold winter temp times.

Patty S.

• zecowsay
    13 years ago

www.mckenzie-farms.com has several types of cold hardy citrus, Harvey Lemon included. Unfortunately the website is down right now.

• don_in_ct
    13 years ago

Shelley,

If you are in a citrus growing region of Louisiana, I think you may have trouble ordering citrus trees from out of the state. But I've added a link for a South Carolina nursery that apparently carries Harvey lemon trees.

Below is a selection taken from the latest state bulletin on plant regulations for your state:

LOUISIANA

SUMMARY OF PLANT PROTECTION REGULATIONS
    Updated March 2011
    Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry
    Office of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
    Horticulture and Quarantine Division
    P.O. Box 3596
    Baton Rouge, LA 70821 3596

CITRUS CANKER QUARANTINE

PEST: Citrus Canker, Xanthomonas campestris pv citri (Hasse) Dye

STATES REGULATED: All areas designated in Federal Quarantine 301.75 et seq., with continued amendments.

MATERIALS REGULATED: All plants and plant parts (including fruit and seeds) of: Calamodin orange (Citrus mitis); Pummelo (Shaddock)(Citrus maxima); Citrus Citron (Citrus medica); Satsuma (Citrus reticulata); Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi); Sour orange (Citrus aurantium); Kumquat (Fortunella japonica); Sweet orange (Citrus sinensis); Lemon (Citrus limon); Tangelo (C. paradisi x. C. reticulata); Lime (Citrus aurantifolia); Temple orange (C. reticulata x. C. sinensis); Mandarin orange (tangerine) (Citrus reticulata); Trifoliata orange (Poncirus trifoliata); and any other article or means of conveyance that presents a risk of disease spread.

RESTRICTIONS: Federal Quarantine prohibits entry into Louisiana.

TRISTEZA QUARANTINE

PEST: Tristeza (a viral citrus pathogen), Xyloporosis, Psorosis and Exocortis

STATES REGULATED: Entire states of: AZ, CA, FL, TX; any other citrus producing states or areas.

MATERIALS REGULATED: Citrus nursery stock, scions and budwood.

RESTRICTIONS: Shipments of regulated materials from an area where tristeza is not known to occur require a certificate of inspection from the state of origin stating such. Regulated materials from regulated states must have been grown under a citrus budwood registration program meeting these requirements: 1. Parent stock tested on trifoliata rootstock at least 3 years with no indication of exocortis; 2. Parent stock indexed and found free of tristeza within 12 months before shipment; and found free of xyloporosis and psorosis; 3. Grower must file a nursery certificate of inspection with the state entomologist; 4. Each shipment must be accompanied by a Louisiana citrus permit tag and a budwood registration tag issued by the state of origin; 5. Each shipment must be accompanied by a citrus invoice report issued by the state of origin, containing information on grower, receiver, parent trees, variety, rootstock, etc. If shipment includes budwood, it must be accompanied by a bud cutting report. A copy of the invoice and bud cutting report, when required, must be mailed to the state entomologist prior to shipment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantfolks Nursery in South Carolina

• magnoliasouth
    11 years ago

I'm looking for one too. I'm in Alabama so our state doesn't restrict citrus sales exports and imports.

I know a place in Florida (justfruitsandexotics.com) that sells them, but due to regs they cannot ship out of state. I'm actually right over the FL/AL state line, but that nursery is in Tallahassee, which is too far for me.

The other part of the problem is trustworthiness. There are a lot of websites that ship trees that are quite shady, pun not intended.

If anyone knows a reputable site that will ship to Alabama, I'm all ears!

• krismast
    11 years ago

Magnoliasouth,

Mackenzie Farms in South Carolina is very reputable. While I have not dealt with them personally, I have heard nothing but good things. They ship everywhere in the US except for certain states. Living in Alabama, you will have no issues.

http://mckenzie-farms.com/index.htm

Good luck!
    Kristopher

• krismast
    11 years ago

Sorry I misspelled "Mckenzie".

Kristopher