Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

Just planted but concerned

queensinfo
11 years ago

Just planted my new Meyer lemon from 4 winds. Upon opening the box there were about 6 or so dead leaves and a few really tiny broken off leaves in the box. Also, a some of the smaller leaves were shriveled or warping, almost like they had dried up or didnt open right. One other branch was also wilting. The cedar shavings didn't feel wet, barely moist (but seemed like enough to sustain 2 days of shipping in my completely knowledge-less opinion).
Wondering if it could be the cold. Also, the tree had no packing material so could have been banging around in the box - is it usual for the tree not to come wrapped in bubble wrap or something?

Few other questions. The roots were extremely long once unfurled. I trimmed some, but even after all of al's root trimming pictures, wasn't comfortable trimming much more. Wish I had taken a picture but muddy hands and iPad don't mix.

There are two small flower buds, should I leave them on?

This is a 3 year tree planted in 5-1-1 because I had everything but turface for gritty mix.

Kind of odd but the tree was only branched in 3 directions ( north, west, east if looking down on a compass. I guess I can aim the branchless part away from the light. Pictures will follow since I can never get more than one picture at a time.

Don't want to sound like I am complaining, but I am a novice at citrus and want to start off on the right foot, and hoping the tree was in a "normal" condition. I have only received whips bare root before, nothing branched.

Comments (11)

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More pics

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Small wilting, deformed leaves

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wilting branch?

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Overall picture, wilting branch on left

• baconquest
    11 years ago

Hi,

Your tree could have just been stressed from the shipment, it has the typical signs of dry roots. Make sure it gets a good initial watering, a thorough soaking, also hold off on fertilizing for the first few weeks. It should recover. Also out of curiousity, did it sit outside on your doorstep for long after it was delivered? Even a short timeframe on a cold day could have caused harm.

I will add though that I've ordered from 4 winds before and my tree's never come in that poor of shape, either time i've ordered. Its good that you're documenting pictures, you might want to send them to 4 Winds. They might also have some advice, and if things turn south and it dies they will likely replace it for you. From my experiences they have great customer service.

I think you'll be ok though, I've seen trees looking WAY worse than that. The fact that you have it in a proper mix and properly sized pot mean you're off to a great start. Just keep it by a sunny window and let nature do its course!

-Mike B

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just noticed that the wilting branch photo is upside down. The tree was outside for a little. It was delivered after 630 and before 8pm (they never rang the bell). It was above freezing at that time but not by much.

I did soak it (especially because the bark was very dry) and didn't fertilize yet, because i need to order it this weekend.

When i checked this morning, It looked like a lot of the new, just emerging growth was affected.

This post was edited by queenskitchen on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 10:25

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quick update. 4 winds said could be trauma from shipping. The previously tiny leaves have grown out as deformed.

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All of the original smaller new leaves have been falling off. The older leaves appear to be ok. Should I be concerned or do you think it will put out another new flush of growth once better established?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Allow some time for your plant to recover. It may voluntarily shed the distressed leaves but will grow more later. Be sure that you don't over water in your zeal to 'nurse' it back to health.

• queensinfo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks. I have it in 5-1-1 and was suprised that i had to water 5 days after the original soaking. I thought it would last a lot longer in the house out of the heat. Maybe it is really dry. I am sure it needed water because the deep soil was dry (as tested with a skewer).

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Delicate new growth will respond that way to shipping and cool temps.

Be sure to keep the mix more uniformly moist while the roots are re-establishing themselves (in general, the first two weeks). Once the plant is established, then you can let the mix dry out more between waterings. Watering every 2 - 4 days, depending on the weather, is not out of the ordinary.

Josh

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County