Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to citrus normal leaves have fallen off all my citrus

Posted by nolefan_2006 FL 9a-ish formerly 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 23:48

I bought a 35 gallon Meyer's lemon, a blood orange, a satsuma and a honey bell minneola from a friend who owns a reputable nursery. The plants came from Record Buck and were all quite beautiful and healthy. They were in the ground 2 weeks and then my friend fertilized them all in the middle of February. He said they needed citrus fertilizer and that I shouldn't wait to March to do it. Within 2 or 3 days all of the trees lost a ton of normal green leaves. I'm new to citrus, so I don't know what I'm doing. I doubt the defoliation was related to transplant shock since the plants had been in the ground for a few weeks and since they all lost maybe 3/4 of their leaves over night. I'm assuming that this is related to the citrus fertilizer. Does anyone know? Since then, new tender growth has appeared on all of the plants and they are doing fine. Is this defoliation normal and if so, should I expect it every other month when I fertilize? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to citrus normal leaves have fallen off all my citrus

P&P Photos and Patience. If you could post photos, we could give you better answers. Sounds like you are doing what you should; if they are making new growth, be of good heart.

o

Could be the fertilizer....

What were the temperatures like over the period of planting and fertilizing and defoliation?

Josh

o

Where are you located? Must be somewhere near me.
I'm in Alachua County and we had some crazy temperature swings here in late Feb and early March. One of my trees has also lost its leaves and I was thinking the temp. swings could have been a factor, though some here say it could be root rot. Citrus doesn't like temp. fluctuations.

Did you have the wild swings from 80 to freezing and back over a few days?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here