Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

four winds citrus quarantine update

Menu

update from aaron dillon, four winds growers
In the film.

On the land.
Surfing it up� and dealing with the ASIAN CITRUS PSYLLID the best way he can.
So since I have seen you last I have moved down to Watsonville (just south of Santa Cruz) to set up a new growing grounds for Four Winds Growers.
We have 13 acres total, probably about 11 acres of actual production space. The main focus of our work here will be propagation of citrus inside of an insect resistant structure. We have a 2 acre glass green house that we are retrofitting that will house our new mother stock and propagation facility. the bug we are dealing with is called the Asian Citrus Psyllid. Last month it was found in Ventura County which is bringing the quarantine boundaries closer putting increased pressure on our operations. Here is a map showing the current quarantine boundary. http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/pqm/manual/PDF/maps/3435ACPOverview.pdf
The rest of the space here in Watsonville will be used for finishing of product for sale to retail nurseries.
So far to date we have about 40,000 citrus, 5,000 avocados, 1,000 fruit trees, and about 25,000 blue berries canned up. We are hoping to be able to start selling by May.
Our other 2 growing grounds are still active.
We have 22 acres of production in Fremont and 16 acres of production in Winters.
Four Winds Growers continues to focus on producing high quality citrus and other edible ornamentals for use in home gardens throughout the state and even the country.
We have recently completed a remodel of our website and would love to share that whenever possible. www.fourwindsgrowers.com

Comments (6)

• marrme
    10 years ago

I think I'm confused about this post. Are Four Winds trees under quarantine? I thought that we were just waiting for the temps to be higher before our orders are shipped...

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For nor-cal yes fourwinds cant ship to so-cal they can ship to other states quarantine Is for nor-cal to so-cal.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Interesting. I'm in So CA, and although I tried to purchase from you, I got the message that you don't ship to So CA on your site, so I looked locally.

Every tree here has a quarantine tag on it. The tree is not to be moved!

I live near many commercial Citrus orchards, and they are all under quarantine. I had one incidence of that psyllid, notified the AG people, they came out, they checked, and after tests, my citrus is cleared. BUT they told us we must use a pesticide with imacloprid in it from now on, and we do.

Basically there will come a day in California when the South becomes it's own state! LOL!

Suzi

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Is it OK to eat citrus from trees after treating with imadocloprid? That is the same chemical used in the Advantage flea medication, and I do use it on some of my plants but did not realize it was OK to treat citrus with it if needed.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

It will kill the pests. NOT YOU! Bayer does a lot of research, and the dosage is just enough to kill sucking or biting insects to protect your crops, but you will notice no difference at all!

I wish it would be enough to kill any mosquito that sucked my blood, but nope!!

I do NOT work for Bayer! It was recommended to me from the Dept of Agriculture who came to our property by my invitation, and they watch my crops because that Asian Citrus Psyllid did show up on one of my trees. The pest appears to be dead and the tree is showing it's gratitude, but I'll get visits from them to check, and they are welcomed.

We are committed to using their program to protect all the citrus close by from this pest.

Suzi

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I am such a fan of Bayer Crop Science products, I could be a salesman. Florida Ag as well recommends Imidacloprid, as do my citrus gurus from Texas A&M. All my Meyers get Imidacloprid twice per year; and while I might WISH that it killed bees, I never have any shortage of wild bees pollinating my trees. Why do I wish it might kill the bees??

No bees, no seeds. I have played with the idea of putting hives to make Meyer lemon honey; but I already have too many bees for my workers' safety. Here's a dirty little secret... In Argentina, the biggest exporter of Eureka lemons in the world, they put lots of bees in their lemon groves...more bees, more seeds; and the seeds are heavier than the fruit... great "plan?" if you are selling lemons by the pound. I sell my Meyers by quality; and I have nothing at all against bees; I only wish there were less of them, at least in my lemon groves.