Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moro Blood Orange - finally got one....!

Posted by greenman28 Nor Cal 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 23:59

I've been stalling and stalling, but today I finally broke down and purchased a Blood Orange.
Many thanks to Meyer Mike's insistence that I try and grow citrus! Maybe you can help me expand my collection! ;)

I removed the stake-ties, and put it in a protected area.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moro Blood Orange - finally got one....!

Hello Grennman28,
Looks like your off to the right start buying it thru Four Winds! I complained about the shipping cost but there trees are well worth it. i may have to buy this one if my moro doesn't make it.
Andrew

o

Very nice tree greenman28! I'm determined to order one myself! Especially, after seeing Mike's oro blanco.
Good luck with your blood orange!

Bo

o

Great looking little tree. I like how it is branching down low like that.

o

Josh. NO WAY!

You never even gave me a hint you had one coming....

That is awsome...Pretty excited from my end actually..That is one beauty...

Ok, we will talk about this later..

Mike..:-)

o

Thank you, everyone! Hey, Mike, I'm sorry I didn't give you a heads up! ;)
I've been perusing all of the Four Winds offerings at my local nursery for the past month...and I settled on the Moro only yesterday.
I selected this particular plant for its nice, low shape...the other dozen or so Moros weren't as compact or evenly pruned.

It's a 5-gallon, allegedly, and it cost me $30. I didn't really compare prices....I just grabbed what I wanted.
Purchased locally, so there were no shipping costs...and I got to pick my tree out.

I think my nursery has almost all the varieties of citrus that Four Winds offers...
but I think it's time that I take a trip to their web-site... ;)

Josh

o

Hi, Greenman28! Lovely tree. Very green and healthy! :-)

o

Congrats Josh! Great looking tree! I'm sure you will do just great with this one, Mike's around for all the help we need!
Hi Mike!

o

Nice looking tree! I will certainly be expanding my citrus collection once my lack-of-a-green-house situation improves lol.

o

Good morning, folks!
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Well, it's been drizzling since I brought the tree home, and the temps haven't gone above 50F...
Isn't that how it always happens? I've been watching the new growth for signs of cold-damage, but
I think the tree will be fine. I have it in a protected north-east exposure, morning to noon sun,
close proximity to the foundation of the house, with a screen of Star Jasmine to buffer wind
and low temps.

Thanks, Nancy! I'm glad to finally join the group!
I've been gearing up for the citrus season and doing my homework for about a year now.
I think it'll be a success...and I can't wait to provide updates throughout the summer.

I think I'll build a small hoop-house for this tree, rather than try and winter it indoors.

Josh

o

Josh,
It's so cute! Good luck!

I'm looking forward to getting a few more citrus.

JoJo

o

Thanks, JoJo!

Update time! On April 22nd, I picked up a 14.5 inch fern/azalea pot for my Blood Orange.
I mixed up some bark, perlite, pumice, and a sprinkle of Osmocote, and let it warm in the sun (in a black plastic bag) for an hour or so. I had intended to slip the root-ball into the new container - and then root-prune next year - but the nursery mix was so sandy and loose that it fell off the roots. As a result, I was forced to bare-root the tree and get it into new mix as fast as possible (otherwise I would have pics of the roots and the re-potting process)! The tree has been recuperating on the north-east side of my house for the past few days, and I haven't noticed any wilted or dropped leaves. I'll try to take some current pics tomorrow.

I opted for the larger of these two fern/azalea pots:

Photobucket

The tree re-potted in the bark/perlite/pumice mix:

Photobucket

Re-potted, with a layer of screened fir bark for mulch.
I have found that a light layer of bark helps to moderate moisture in the top few inches of the mix while the roots are colonizing the soil.

Photobucket

Lastly,
this is a shot of the crappy nursery mix in which the tree came. I'd estimate the mix to be peat moss, sand, and sap wood (terrible for a potting mix).

nursery soil mix....

Josh

o

Josh!

Amazing job! Great idea, pictures, and help! I really appreciate you coming here and sharing your expertise and experiences with correct ways in potting up.

You are such a great addition here and you add much flavor to this site!

I really appreciate what you did, and I am sure many here will pick up some great ides from you. I LOVE the pumice and the looks of the mix...It is definitely porous and not one to compact to soon. It will definitely not be a haven for "fungus gnats" either. What a great idea about top mulching it. I am going to do same to mine today! I did notice that the top layer dries out to fast. I also can't believe the junk they sell the plants in.

I just lost a beautiful gardenia last week, because it too was left in soil like that all winter for fear of transplanting it till spring. The roots were mush in mud, and I am sorry I didn't do it when I should of, in the middle of winter.

Thank you again

o

Thank you, Mike! You are as generous as ever.
It is a pleasure to share my experience here, and I do hope the pics will encourage
others to liberate their trees/plants from the bane of bagged, peat-based potting soils.

Although I am new to citrus, I've been able to apply all that I've learned about proper
soil composition and drainage. Plus, I'm armed with white vinegar, Foliage Pro, epsom salts,
slow release Osmocote, and the patient advice from my garden friends, here! I only wish I could
have taken more pics...but as soon as the root-ball disintegrated, I had to work quickly -
at that point, my hands were covered in muck, and I didn't want to soil my camera.

Mike, I'm sorry about the Gardenia.... :(
I guess you'll be doing an out-of-season re-potting next time, eh?

Well, it's raining today, so I won't have any new pics.
The weather has been so co-operative. Cool is definitely better than hot...for a re-pot.

Josh

o
Update in the rain

I took a pic in the rain.
Lots of new growth has opened in the past 5 days...

Photobucket

o

That is a nice , healthy looking plant you have there!!
Fourwinds plants look very nice-- but as a previous poster also has commented- their shipping prices are bad. They are WAY out of controll on that. I know a guy who was going to order 5 smaller sized citrus plants - sent to the east coast and they wanted almost $100 for shipping!!!. And that was 3 day shipment - not overnight!! They said they could not send ground shipping to the east coast cause they were live plants. Nuccios sends bare root camellias ground to the east coast 5-7 days and they look SEPCTACULAR. They must just want to make more money off the shipping.

They loose businees cause of that

o

Thanks, Dawgone!
I'm lucky to live near a nursery that stocks Four Winds trees.

After three nights of freezing temps, I've noticed some splits in the leaves.
I'll keep the situation monitored...

Josh

o
Split leaves....

Good afternoon! Couple of pics...

Have any of you growers seen these splits in your leaves?

I noticed them after a freeze, a few nights back. I assumed the water on the leaves had frozen and split...
But if it's an insect of some sort, I want to take care of it now.

Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh, I can't wait to get home and see what these pics look like.

I know for sure that maybe Jean or Rhizzo would have a good guess to aliviate your fears..;-)

One more thing. That price of shipping has got to be way off base..I never paid that and live as far as East gets, Massachusetts..Hummm?

Take care,

o

Thanks, Mike.

I've since moved the tree to my back deck, where it receives more sunlight throughout the day.
I still don't know what sort of pests are attacking my Blood Orange - earwigs, sow bugs, other?
It seems that slugs leave round holes, so I've tentatively ruled them out. I've been out
at night to try and observe the attacks, but nothing so far....

The tree hasn't dropped a single leaf yet...although the bugs have eaten a few leaves in half.

I hope that additional images might garner some advice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Weird Josh!!!!!

I think this is one for Rhizzo or Jean..WEIRD!! Such healthy green leaves though!

Do you think maybe an animal with claws?

Mike

o
The Sound of Silence

Hey, mike!
Frustrating, isn't it?

I'd assume a clawed animal would do more overt damage...like yanking off whole leaves or branches.....

The raccoons are stirring, but this isn't 'coon damage....

Maybe no one else has experienced this?
Guess I'm on my own ;)

Josh

o

Sure be more of a :-((((

Man Josh, maybe you should buy one of those garden cams with a micro lens and stare it right at that tree..Crazy!

I am sure you'll figure it out.. Nite friend!

o

Thanks! ;)
I just checked on the tree...1:30a.m....nothing I can see.
I looked over and under the leaves, and then I shook the foliage to see if anything would fall out.
Nothin'....

Josh

o

Hey, Mike!

I forgot to answer one of your questions:

The yellow around the cuts/splits/holes in the leaves started after the initial damage.

Josh

o

Update! Nearly a month has passed!

I still don't know definitively what caused the previous leaf-damage, nor have I received any suggestions.
Part of me suspects that it might be bird damage....but, again, no definitive conclusions.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh, FANTASTIC looking! I am very proud of you. I guess your tree loves the mix you use, along with the FP and osmocote! Beautiful. Look at how much it has grown in so little time..

You are doing something right and I knew you could do it!

Strong work, and I will post many of my plants real soon.

Thank you so much for showing us how green, happy, and healthy..

MIke..:-):-):-)

o

Hey, Mike!
Thanks for having such confidence in me! ;)

After a recent heat spike, we're down to more reasonable temperatures in the 80F's and low 90F's...
As you can see, some pest is still getting a few of my new leaves - but the overall resistance is improved!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Hi Josh! beautiful growing..I love that plant!

What the heck is eating your leaves? Looks like a caterpillar or something. But you know, who cares? The color is remarkable and the growth nice..

Josh, I can't believe that you still bought a citrus, and even better, I am so happy you love this tree...

Time for an "Oro"? lol

Mike:-)

o

That's right, as long as most of the leaves are okay, I don't mind a few cosmetic defects! ;)

I've seen the size of the Oro's at the nursery, Mike....
I don't think I'd have room for it!

Josh

o

Josh

That is a really pretty citrus tree! I hope to get my leaves looking as glossy and dark green. I have noticed little cuts on some of my leaves just like yours and I have no idea what that is either! Your tree looks MUCH better than mine do I can assure you of that. Hope you get the mystery solved soon.

Kim

o

Thanks, Kim!
If I ever figure out what the pest was, I will surely pass the information along.
My tree has been putting on a ton of new growth, and I'm even contemplating a trim....

Photobucket

Josh

o

A couple of mine have had the same thing happen. Maybe we will never know..

Josh your plant is still looking mighty fine!!!

Kim, yours will be there some day. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Fp and vinegar at the rates you are doing and keep using a very well draining mix that will not compact or stay wet for days..It will not attract Fungus Gnats, one of my biggest fears other than spider mites, and one that will not let your salts ever build up..

o

Just a suggestion, but maybe the tree cut itself blowing in the wind on its own thorns :P

Nice looking Moro, mine is starting to leaf out a bit now itself! Good luck with your tree!

Josh

o

Thanks, Josh! That's a great suggestion, actually.
However, the tree didn't have any developed thorns at the time.

During the first week of August, I had to leave my trees to go camping.
I put them all in a fenced area on the north-northeast side of my house,
where they would receive only morning light (and where they would be grouped
for my buddy to water). Well, the trees are doing so well with morning light and
a few hours of direct sun...that I decided to just leave them there! No more wilting
when the 11:00 a.m. sun hits the deck full force.

Here's an update pic, taken a few minutes ago. Compare to the purchase pic from March....
it's a different tree entirely.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

super nice Josh. I am heading up to Tahoe tomorrow for 4 nights. Hope my trees survive. I emailed Mike and told him what I did with one of my sick trees ( the satsuma) since I had the receipt I took it back to osh and got the lifetime exchange. I didn't realize I had it for 3 years. The poor thing just root rotted coming out of this past winter I guess. I noticed your screen in the photos. Mike is gonna help me on screening but maybe you can help too. Do you screen each ingredient separately? What to you do sift with the wire mesh and discard what falls through or keep what falls through. I didn't screen the first 5.1.1. that I used for the satsuma and it was super wet at the bottom. I enclosed a pic of the satsuma. Still no info on the leaves from my inground orange. Sorry to go on and on on what is the blood orange thread but I was reading and started typing as if speaking directly to you.
thanks
Dave

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o

Just ordered a moro for myself from Four Windsf or my birthday next week. I tried to resist but I couldn't. Hope I have as much luck with it as you did.

gg

o

Happy birthday, GG!
That's a real nice treat for yourself.

Dave, have a great trip to the mountains!
Stay hydrated, and don't let the high Sierra Sun burn you too much.
I'll take pics of the equipment I use for screening, and I'll have 'em
posted here for your return.

Josh

o

Josh,
do you have how any idea how many I bought and killed before they ever got past a couple months old in my care, as yours has done?

Look at you. First time citris grower in containers, and look at how nice and healthy your plant looks!

When it does flower, please post another picture...To me, that is the most beautiful part of growing citrus. Especially if they bloom in winter while everything else outside is dead and cold...

Thanks for updating us..:-)

Gg, another year younger, and another citrus come this time next year..lol
You will love your tree. They start so healthy when they arrive in the mail..It will be your part to keep it going, since they are not to stressed as in other trees I have received by mail, when you replant, not these ones.
I just bought another one from them.
I bought a "calamondin", one plant I really missed a lot since I gave my other away..When I opened the box, the frangrance from the flowers permiated my home!
I repotted it as soon as I got it, and stuck it under a tree where it gets sun through the leaves, and it seems as if it never noticed it ever took a trip from California..
It is doing so well..Smells so good, and a joy to the bees out there..
I will post a picture of it soon, and show how I repotted it step by step..:-)

I can't wait until you recieve yours..Wait till you see how healthy the roots look.

The repotting instructions they send with the plant, and the reasons why they suggest a porous mix I would pay attention to..But the actuall mix itself, I would still not use..As per conversation with them, it is a suggestion givin to their customers to dicourage them from using bagged mixes with loads of peat which can work for a time...I wouldn't use the shavings....You'll get the gist.

Mike

o

Mike wrote:
"Look at you. First time citris grower in containers, and look at how nice and healthy your plant looks!"

- Why thank you, Mike!
- I had so much help with the pre-planning that it would have been nearly impossible to fail.
- I tried to respond to this Thread back when you posted, but GardenWeb was having "problems."

But now I have an update on my Moro. Seems like every two weeks the plant gets bigger!

Here's a shot of the whole tree, exhibiting tons of new foliage and branches:

Photobucket

A blurry shot of some of the most aggressive new growth:

Photobucket

And, lastly, a shot of nice, green foliage:

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh..WOW! What a difference from the time you received it..

What I find highly unusual is that it responded so well and grew that much, full mind you..Most people I know have told me it take a year or too for the roots to take hold in a new transplanting, before the top growth takes off..I can se that you deified that logic..GREAT JOB!!

What is your secret?lol

o

Isn't it something, Mike? ;)

I think I must have re-potted at just the right time in April, between growth-spurts.
And, of course, I think the tree responded well to the bark-based mix, Osmocote, and Foliage Pro.
I've watched at least three distinct growth-spurts so far....

The Secret is durable, free-draining soil; deep watering; and mild, though consistent, fertilizing ;)
But you know all that! Ha!

Getting the tree through the winter will be the true test.

Josh

o

Josh, you got that right..!

Thank GOD I can just stick them in a pop up greenhouse till come December or so..I pray it is a mild winter like last year, where we did not even see the twenties at night till December..

Winter, gotta love it..lol

Mike

o

Well, good morning!
The weather has been perfect for citrus growing lately. Warm days, cool nights, mid-range humidity.
My tree won't slow down, so I'll be pruning it again soon. I thought I'd post an update beforehand.

The last pic shows were I'll be making the snip....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o
September Surgery

Well, a few days ago I pruned my Blood Orange back down to size....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh,
It looks great!
Love seeing updates. :)
So,
Can you root the trimmings?

Mike~
Winter.. Nope! Don't gotta love it... ROFL!!
I down right hate it! :)

JoJo

o

It's always bugged me to remove fresh young growth like that. I just imagine the energy it took to create it could've been used for the rest of the tree. I try to pinch them back when very young to avoid the "guilt".

>> Can you root the trimmings?
Or if you had everything setup before hand, you could graft the buds from those branches onto another citrus tree. That particular branch looks to be *almost* the right size and age -- probably would've been perfect in Spring.

The tree looks great.

About those "splits" on your leaves -- the only time I've seen that is when we've received hail. The damage looks nearly identical, but didn't have more than one split per leaf. But here in the central valley we get hail a couple times per year and usually it's dime sized lasting only a minute long.

Did it happen only once or was it recurring?

Question: How often did you water it in Summer with the 5-1-1 mix, esp when your temps were above 90?

o

Thanks, JoJo!
I'll keep the updates coming!
As Cebury mentioned, I certainly could have attempted rooting these cuttings....

Cebury, thanks for the tips on the splits.
Yes, we had some cold rain, followed by freezing temperatures, for two days or so.
That's when the splits appeared. I thought that the water droplets had perhaps frozen on the
leaves and then ripped/split/tore the leaf tissue as the water froze and expanded.

Pruning is never easy...but I like to think that I've shaken myself of the old guilt.
With this tree in particular, I decided at purchase that I would continuously prune it back.
I fertilized yesterday, and with this warm weather I expect to be pruning again in October.
The branch that I pruned bolted in the course of two weeks. Next time, I'll pinch it before
it gets so out of hand.

During the hottest days of summer, I watered every other day. Typically, though, every 1 - 3 days.
At that frequency, I should have been fertigating more often...but I didn't. I'd say that I only
fertilized every three weeks.

Josh

o

Hi Joooojooooo!

I hate the thought of winter..Altough, today was 75!! It feels magnificent!
You know what I did today while I looked like a fool?
I climbed my ladder this morning setting everyone of my succulents and cactus on the flat roof up agaisnt my house...You should of seen me trying to not fall off the ladder for my babies...They look happy up there though. That is the most sunniest and warmest part of my property now..lol. I shall have to post a picture of the jades reacting to it..I do have a bearless lime up there too..

Josh::: I really appreciate you taking the time to build confidence in us that have been hesitant to grow in mixes such as yours..Your tree looks terrific, and to think they survived smoothly, your hot temps and lack of them..Thank you. Please keep it up..

Cebury: Feeling guilty about your plants is something you like to avoid? lol Me too..
You should of seen how I felt for days when I got so sick of fighting mites one winter that I tossed out half my plants into a dumpster in temps of below zero..It didn't take too long before I felt bad, but by then, they were all frozen to death when I went to bring them back in..:-((

How have you been? I here you are not feeling well these days? I too am caring for my parents at my home..It is a lot, butu I love to see them around while I can enjoy them..
I hope you get to feeling stronger and stick around more often. You will be in our thoughts.....It is always a pleasure and suprise to see what you have to say..Good idea about pruning too..

See you on the other threads...

Hi Jaybird..Love your trees for sure too..I can't remember if you had a calamondin tree. If so, don't you love those?

o

Mike:

>>> You should of seen how I felt for days when I got so sick of fighting mites one winter that I tossed out half my plants into a dumpster in temps of below zero..It didn't take too long before I felt bad, but by then, they were all frozen to death when I went to bring them back in..:-((

OMG I laughed hard and then felt really sad for you, all in the three seconds it took me to read that sentence! Emotional roller coaster there -- exactly what you felt I'm sure!

If you haven't already, you should write that story up in a separate post!

o

"You should of seen how I felt for days when I got so sick of fighting mites one winter that I tossed out half my plants into a dumpster in temps of below zero..It didn't take too long before I felt bad, but by then, they were all frozen to death when I went to bring them back in..:-(("

Aww! That's awful! I'm sorry you felt like you had to do that, but I know the feeling. I had to sacrifice five houseplants in the battle against mites a couple years ago and I felt terrible for weeks. It's a good thing mite predators are so cheap nowadays, or I would have thrown in the towel to the mites by now.

o
Almost ready for the Winter now!

I was inspired by Mike's pop-up to build my own version out of pvc pipe and some plastic sheeting.
The plastic hasn't been taped to the frame yet, but I'll get to it in a few minutes. The plastic was the
cover from when my mattress was delivered - pretty thick stuff, and free...sort of ;)

The narrow sides will both be left loose so that I can open and close them on warm days.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh...

What a fantastic idea! That is looking mighty fine..

You might be able to get away with it all winter if you have a small radiator space heater you can get at HD..

You could probably keep most your plants in there on shelves..Just make sure you find a way to keep it tied to something to avoid wind damage and take it down before the first snow storm..You might be able to set bricks on the bottom of the plastic and tie of string at the top..
Poke a little hole into the top of the plastic at the corners and tie string around sturdy objects coming from the pop up to it.

What a great idea Josh.

By the way, your plant is looking real good.

o

Thanks for the tips, Mike!
I have a center-pole in there to keep the rain from collecting at the top, and I think that I'm
going to install a few drain-holes so that I can channel and store the rainwater.

Once the cold-house is in place on my southeast wall, I will secure it with sturdy ties and bricks.
I think I'll be able to leave it in place all winter...even if we get snow. It isn't too cold here...not cold like it is back East.

Now I have to wait for the rain to stop before I can create the doors.

More pics when it's up and running!

Josh

o

Fnatastic Josh...I can't wait to see the final outcome..

Just make sure your kitty doesn't use it to sharpen it's claws..lol..Curious little thing I see..I forgot we have terrible winters compared to you...We had a year a couple of years back when it snowed before I could ever plant bulbs in November, and that original snow did not even melt until the following March...No mercy that year..

The only works as a flashlight right about now, since I can not feel the heat from it..It sets at 415 in the pm, and we still have a whole month of the sun dropping lower in the sky..My poor plants!

Mike

I will be watching for your your final results!

Mike

o

Well, here's a pre-final result pic! ;)
I know it's not the most attractive thing you've seen, but not too bad for a quick, cheap solution...

I've moved the cold-frame to its Winter location on a concrete slab on my southeast wall.
I used velcro sticky tabs to close the "doors" on either end, and I left a fair amount of overlap
to guard against wind and rain. I'm thinking of putting an additional layer of plastic over the top -
sorta like a rain-fly on a camping tent.

I bet I could squeeze two more citrus in there... ;)

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh..

Wow...Way too cool..What a great idea although your tree looks awfully lonely in there...Now that plant needs a companion...lol

I even know where you can get a real nice looking tree to compliment that one..
What a great idea..Watch how well it does in there..Don't you just love it and the feeling you can leave it out longer?
Mine are still outside and here it is December...Normally all of mine would of been in by the end of September!
I will take some December pics soon..

o

Thanks, Mike!

Last night was the first night that I've left my Blood Orange outside in the cold-frame.
The temperature was 32°F when I got up this morning, so this will be a good test.

You can't quite see it, but there is a Gardenia in there with the orange...

If I get another citrus now...I'll have to put it in with my Blood Orange, and that
won't allow me to properly quarantine the new tree. I'd rather get a tree next Spring,
so that I can keep it outdoors unprotected while I inspect it for pests.

I am excited about my next purchase!
(I wouldn't mind trying a Ponderosa Lemon, either ;) ).

Josh

o

looks like it will work great! You can always throw a blanket over it at night if it gets real cold. Be careful to monitor the temps inside when the sun shines on it. The temps will easily get 40+ degrees warmer than the outside air on a sunny day.

o

Josh!

Mksmth made a WONDERFUL point!My God..Actually very important! This is something that took time for me to understand and work out in order to keep my trees happy..A thermometer will be your best friend in this next to your gritty mix,dowels and magnifying glass..

If you let it get hot in there too fast, your tree will wilt and be stressed if the soil is very cold to start with..

I chose between two senerios...

One: You can let it get really cold in there and then open the plastic once the possiblity of frost is over so it does not heat up that fast or much. Always leave your leave an opening so hot air can escape and fresh air can get in..

Two: You can get a small space heater and keep the temps warm in there at night no matter how cold it is outside, to about low 60's, and then you do not have to worry about a quick rise or very warm temps..

I chose the later..It never get's below the mid fifties in my pop up at night, and always rises over the 70 degree mark by day.

This way I have no leaves dropping because there is no stress on my plants..

Now it's time for me to lower the heat at night as far as the 40's and keep it cool in there by day to adjust them before bringing them inside.The only thing that changes with my trees is the amount of light they recieve when they come in..They do very well this way with no leaf drop.

Does this sound confusing? I hope not..You will get use to seeing how your tree reacts and adjust your care for them accordingly..

If you need any help, let me know..
What Mksmth says is very very important..Remember you and I are in the buisness of not stressing our trees!

Great about about the bug thing too..You know me..lol

You may have already considered all this, but just incase something slipped your mind, here it is..

Mike.:-)

o

Thanks, Mksmth!
I have a blanket at the ready, and a thermometer to keep the temps in check...
I've been opening the narrow ends during the day.

Josh

o

Hey, Mike! Muchas muchas gracias!
For some reason, your post did not appear in the Thread until after I'd posted! I hate when
that happens. Sometimes I have to refresh my browser two or three times before the page updates!!!

Thanks to you, I knew that the temps would rise and so I created air-vents in the doors
to allow for hot air to escape. It isn't very cold here, not like it is over on the East Coast,
but I do have a space-heater to plug in if need be. I also have some of those old, large
bulb Christmas Lights. Everyone strings them on their citrus trees around here,
for about 3 weeks out of the year.

Another technique that I use to regulate temperature is to fill jugs with water, let them warm up
during the day, and then put them in the cold-frame at night where they'll offer up their heat.
This works very well in places where it doesn't get too cold.

I also water with tepid water - just slightly warm, never hot - (on watering days) to get the root-zone
up to a productive temperature sooner.

I'm the first of my friends to try to grow citrus, and I'm glad to have support from long-time growers.
Your experience has helped me avoid a lot of potential mistakes....although I'm sure that I'll make
a mistake or two eventually... ;)

I've already realized that I don't fertilize often enough...but I *am* trying to fix that.

Josh

o

Wow that sounds great greenman :) I can't find a nursery in north texas (DFW area) that sells moro blood orange trees :( I was wondering if you could be so kind to send me a few seeds? and I can't wait to see more of your tree's progress :) Thanks :)

o

Thanks, Shitaki!
If I ever get a fruit with seeds, I'll send you some.

Josh

o

No Thank you Josh! and you should post more pictures of your Moro Blood orange tree :)

o

Scratch like marks and piercings are likely from being stored near a thorny citrus at the nursery.

Ruby blood is a lot earlier and is a good choice cold winter climates. Most of the bloods are a lot less cold hardy than navels.

o

Hey, Tantan!

There were no splits or scratches in the leaves when I purchased this tree...
the leaves affected were not even grown/full-size when I brought it home.

Thankfully it doesn't get too cold 'round here. 26 degrees this morning,
but that'll probably just stall/slow growth rather than freeze it off.

Josh

o

So my friend, how is the tree doing these days?

Any little blooms starting or new growth?

I love your tree and it's shape. Please keep us updated Josh:-)

Mike

o

Hello, Mike and all! ;-)

We got snow last weekend, and the nights have been cool ~ 30F, but the trees are waking.
I figured I'd post a pic here since it's been awhile. Hopefully I'll have more to show next month....
I fertilized everything this morning, and I rubbed some root-stock growth off the variegated.

This pic is of the Moro Blood Orange, which is covered in new growth all over:

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh!!! THAT'S FLOWER BUDS!!!! YES, FINALLY.. I am pretty sure Josh!! Oh my, that would be so nice buddy!

Mike:-)))

o

Hey, Mike!
Flower buds?! Really?!
I thought they were just the start of little leaves!
If they are flower buds, there's gonna be tons of them!
Foliage or flowers, I'm very happy with the progress.
I'll keep you updated ;-)

Josh

o

Josh!! Please do:-)

Please, tell me a couple of things, just in ace they are only leaves.

How often are you feeding your tree and with what?

Thanks man. Talk to you soon..

o

Sure thing ;-)

I'm fertigating every 1 - 2 weeks with Foliage Pro and white vinegar.

Josh

o

Well,your plants seem mighty happy with your choice and technique of fertilizing Josh!

Look at how green and happy that tree is. Look at the constant new growth without falling leaves right down to the trunk since you have had it..

Then all that tight compact growth, and fullness...... Happy happy happy your tree/plants are.....Great job!

Love the looks of that mix too.

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

o

Josh!
Looks great! I'd say buds too!!! :-)

The new leaves on my tree's look more like little pieces of string. what you have in your photo looks more round like a bud!

Can't wait to hear for sure, and will be watching for an update. ;-)

JoJo

o

I guess I'm just a pessimist...'cause I still think they look leaf-like ;-)
Maybe I'm just preparing myself for leaves, if they don't prove to be blossoms!
But I thank you, Mike and JoJo, for the positive thoughts....and since both of you
have bloomers right now, maybe some of that JuJu will rub off!

Mike, during the coldest, wettest part of Winter, I didn't fertilize my citrus for
at least a month because the containers weren't drying out fast enough to be watering
so often. I've only begun to fertilize every 1 - 2 weeks recently, during the few days
when the weather was warm. I'm hoping those months when I wasn't fertilizing much
will have helped the plants to differentiate energies betwixt foliar and floral production.

Perhaps another pic later today.

Josh

o

Beautiful tree and great little cold frame. It's great when they start a growth flush. However, the beauty of stone fruit flowers are way up there, too. But nothing beats the scent of the citrus buds.

Keep up the good work!

Chris

o

Thank you, Chris!

My plums are budding up in the yard, and my peaches and nectarine will be budding soon, too!
When the plum blossoms begin to fall and swirl on the wind it's like a faeryland in my backyard...

I need to re-do some of the tape and adhesive velcro tabs on my cold-frame...the cold, wind, sun,
and rain have basically tugged them all apart. I've added drop-cloths over the doors that don't quite
stay closed anymore ;-)

Josh

o

The weather's warm, but overcast, in the northern California foothills today....
and more rain is on the way. I did some fertigating this morning, and rubbed a few more
sucker-sprouts from the trunk of the new variegated lemon. I took a couple pics of
the Moro, which continues to grow nicely.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And a bonus shot of some over-ripe Meyer Lemons that I got from my brother's tree last night...

Photobucket

Josh

o

Josh!

Wow,is your tree happy or what? It is so green and now new growth again. I am hoping you get blooms this round or you better threaten it like I had to with my gardenias...lol

Thank you for the follow up since I was thinking of your tree today!

Did you use those lemons? They look mighty fine buddy.

Every one of mine are in blossom, as if they are full speed ahead for the leaf growing season in a few weeks.

Beautiful job Josh! Please post another very soon..:-)

Mike

o

Josh, I answered your question and posted a pic on my thread. Judging from your picture above and what I am seeing on my tree I'd have to say that those are leaves for now. The large tree I have was in the ground 5 years before blooming even once. I have a small one about knee high that has been in the ground since the spring before last and froze off the top. It came back last spring and is putting on flower buds this spring. I have no idea why the disparate results. I have noticed on the bloom buds that they take longer to develop and look like blooms whereas the new leaves pop out and look spiky within a few days.

Rob

o

Hey Josh, thanks for the link here, it was helpful.

Just if you are curious I've noticed those slits on my citrus leaves before but almost always after a windstorm and almost always on larger (non-grafted) trees. The thorns on those can be quite long and will put slits in the leaves that look just like those.

I've never let them freeze so I can't speak to that. I know 4winds trees don't usually have large thorns but that is a possible explanation if it had some at the time..

o

Thanks, Redshirt!

The possibility of thorns was suggested to me, but I just couldn't see how when the thorns
had yet to appear? Other possibilities are slugs, earwigs, or frost/freeze after a rain.
This year, I haven't seen any of these splits/slits....

Very strange!

Josh

o

I guess it's about time for an update!

I've battled the earwigs, I continue to battle the spider mites, and now I'm dealing with sunburn....
at least I think that's what's blasting my Moro's leaves. I didn't think I could provide enough sun in
my oak-dappled backyard to burn a citrus, but I've been wrong many times before ;-)

To complicate matters, the weather has been very hot for the last month in particular.
So, I have leaves that are burning from the sun/heat and I have leaves that are yellowing from
insufficient uptake of nutrients - but I don't want to fertilize heavily because of the heat.

My citrus have now been moved into deeper shade...we'll see how they react.

Onto the update pics!
First up, this is what the tree looked like last month. I removed the new growth in the second pic,
and the third pic is of the pruned tree (you can see the pruned foliage in the pond basket to the right).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The following two pics show what I think is sunburn.
I hate showing a plant in less than pristine condition, but it's helpful for others to see the challenges
we face during the summer season. If that looks like something other than sunburn, I'm all ears!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some of the newest leaves, which have grown in the intense sun and, as such, are accustomed
to the high light levels. Lord knows they'll probably crap out as soon as the winter comes ;-)

Photobucket

Lastly, you might have noticed the Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina) growing in my Moro container.
I started small four-inch single stem cuttings in the container during the winter, to use as "tell plants"
to let me know if the temps were too cold. Well, these cuttings have grown like no other into multibranched vines.
They absolutely love the citrus mix (and the fertilizer, too, no doubt).

Anyhow, the vines were getting out of control, so I removed the Wandering Jew and ended up with a huge basket
of vines just like the one I'm holding. The cool thing was that the leaves shaded the actual trunk of the Moro.

Photobucket

Josh

o

Yup, a little sunburn, but not to worry. Citrus will get it figured out. Mine are all in direct full sun all day long down in S. California, where our sunshine is much more potent than yours up in Nor Cal. It will get accustomed to it and will do just fine. Even the tender new flush! Your Moro looks fabulous! I just bought one more blood orange, a Vaniglia Sanguigno (Italian sweet blood orange, nearly acidless).

Patty S.

o

Josh: I have been keeping up with the progress with your tree since the day you attained it and I must say what a fantastic job you are doing with it. I watch to see what shape you are making out of it and the colors of course. You know me with the necessity to have rich green looking leaves!

I have noticed that you have managed to keep it that way all this time through thick and thin, against many odds in a container and you can and will get them back to that color once that extreme heat passes, of that I am confident!
Great work buddy .

Once your trees start taking up nutrients again, even more so now that you took that plant out and as the weather cools, it will be back to it's perfect stature again. By the way, that plant loved that pot and that mix, wow.

Good luck with the fight against mites! They must have a bullseye target on your fresh looking green plants amongst the brown parched grasses.

Oh yes, that is sunburn:-(

Mike

o

Ah, Patty and Mike, thanks for putting my fears to rest ;-)

Patty, that's exactly why I was shocked....I didn't think my northern sun was strong enough,
particularly the mosaic sunlight coming down through the oak trees. Note to self...late August
and early September are hot and harsh on citrus in containers!

Thanks, Mike, for following this citrus log from the start!
You convinced me to try citrus, and I'm glad I did. Now I'm thinking about building a bigger
cold-frame to store these plants. I just pruned my variegated Lemon yesterday, but I still
don't think it'll fit in my old frame.

That Wandering Jew plant has wandered, indeed! My sister gave me cuttings years ago, and then
I gave out cuttings to my brother. Eventually, my sister killed hers. This year, my brother
propagated a bunch of containers and gave one to my sister, so now it's come full circle.

Josh

o

No fears when they are in your hands buddy!

I am so glad you took me up on it. I hope that even Mary sticks to it! I just can not understand why it takes SOOOO long for a Moro to flower. For me, that would be a waste of space at my home since fragrance is my main concern.
It is one beautiful tree though especially in your care Josh!

So, now to start thinking about cold protection! I have been dealing with that weeks early..Sigh!

Did that Variegated fir in ther lasy year? Man, if it did, it must of exploded with growth Josh! It is one nice looking tree. I hope your weather cools off to encourage more! Mine are in my greenhouse looking mighty happy man and it smells oh so good!

Talk about a 'wondering Jew"..lol. It just keeps wandering and wandering in full circles..lol

MIke

o

Hey, Mike! Temps are holding stable out here in the West....like always,
temps drop into the low 50F's at night, then bounce into the 90F's during the day.

My variegated Lemon never flowered, but it has put on exceptional growth.
I was looking at it yesterday and considering another major pruning cut.

Josh

o

Another follower stopping in to say "Hi". :-)

Josh,
The tree looks great! Sorry to see a little sunburn. :-( Mine have some of that too. Even in dappled shade. From looking at your new growth, you won't even notice them soon!

And the Wandering Jew! Wow! That sure grew!

A bigger cold frame? Your kidding right?
Josh, just trow in the towel and build a green house! LOL!
You'll need it sooner or later anyway, you know you will! ROFL!

Mike~ Hi!
TTYS...
JoJo

o

Hey, pilgrim! ;-) Nice to see you!
I think I realized the issue with the sunburn. Throughout the Summer, the oaks shaded the citrus
at a different angle....as the sun dropped over the past month and a half, the sun struck the trees
at a more direct angle (without the obstruction of certain branches and leaves).

I'm about to go out and chop off some of that new growth....

Josh

o

Well, I'd say it's time for an update, wouldn't you? ;-)

In one month, I'll have had this Moro in my keeping for 3 years. This Winter, for the first time, I decided to bring my Citrus indoors....and I'm glad I did. The scent of Citrus blooms - Pink Eureka and Meyer - has been fantastic. There's been some continuous interior leaf-loss, and battles with spider mites, but what else is new?

I've pruned some errant growth, and wired other growth in place to fill in "bald spots" on the tree. Here's a shot of the tree during a spate of good weather.

o

And the real reward for my patience :-)

There are only two clusters of blooms like this on the tree....but, hey, I'll take two! I don't expect fruit to set necessarily; I'm just happy that the tree is showing potential.

Many thanks to Meyer Mike for his continued support and encouragement.

o

Just beautiful! Can't wait to see the fruit!

Patty S.

o

Thank you, Patty! :-)

Josh

o

Overcast today, but a balmy 71F....so I took the Citrus outside :-)

o

....and this is the most fragrant Citrus bloom I've smelled yet! A single bloom perfumes a large area of the living room, and I even smelled it outdoors wafting around the deck.

o

Josh,

Yahoo! I love the color as always, the flowers and it's about time and worth the wait, the shape as you are gifted for doing to your trees, and the size, you always seem to keep your plants tidy!

Don't you just LOVE the fragrance coming from your tree!?

I noticed when my Moro was in bloom, just one flowers smelled the whole living room up. You must be in citrus heaven...

You are going to laugh...But I didn't even see the last picture or your last post when I just said that about the fragrance..lol I was responding to what I remembered on your updated posts from last week...
You are so right, like I said, the fragrance is strong and I love it. Quite worth the wait I'd say!
Imagine being able to plant one in your back yard? Ohhh

You say 71? Well then, I'm jealous.
Don't forget to increase your fertilizer to keep up with it's appetite! Great job buddy. I am very proud of you keeping a citrus healthy and beautiful this long in containers!
Thank you for giving us an update a pretty pics.

Mike

o

Thanks, Mike!

The fragrance is incredible! I can only imagine what a tree covered in blooms must smell like. One day, maybe... ;-)

I've been fertilizing weekly at about 1/2 strength, ever since you mentioned that you hadn't been fertilizing your trees for a few weeks. The last watering I gave them was just water and white vinegar...sort of a flush. I will start increasing the nutrient dose now.

Josh

o

Hello!
Those first bloom-clusters each set two fruit, which I'll thin to just the larger fruit as soon as I'm sure that they're beyond the "drop stage." The tree is now getting ready for a second wave of blooms, and there are so many more clusters this time around! I'm fertilizing full-strength Foliage Pro now, once a week.

Josh

o

Hey there Josh, i just bought online my first moro blood orange, 3 years old from four winds as they recommended the moro for my area. I've read all the comments and I want to start it well, i like your soil mix so i'm gonna do the same. Also some people say oranges should be fertilized only once a month, i'm not too sure about that, through your experience with yours how often do you think i should fertilize it?
Also do you let it dry out between waterings or do you water it when the soil is damp?

I live in new york city area, our winters are coldest in february where the lowest temperatures i've experienced were in the very low 20's so i'm planning to winter my orange indoors, i have grow lights already for my other plants. I can't think of other questions atm hehe
If you could give me any more tips i would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you =]

o

Josh, when you say "full strength" Foliage Pro, do you mean the 1/2 tsp. per gallon maintenance dose?

o

Hello!

Mandarin, by full strength, I mean 1 Teaspoon per gallon of water.

Katsols, congrats on your purchase.
Fertilizing will depend on the potting mix, watering habits, how quickly the tree is growing, the volume of the container, and the particular fertilizer you choose (liquid, slow-release, organic....). In a fast-draining soil, you water and fertilize more frequently, but often with reduced fertilizer strength. In most cases, I simply advise following the directions on the package.

Yes, I let the potting mix dry out between waterings, but not so dry that the tree begins to wilt. In a well-aerated soil, you can water more frequently (even on a schedule) with a greater margin of error. During the Winter, use a wooden kabob skewer stuck deep into the pot to tell you how much moisture is in the lower layers. When the skewer comes out mostly dry or slightly damp, it is time to water.

Bring the tree in during the Winter, and give it as much light as you can. I Wintered mine in an eastern window this year. Expect significant interior leaf-drop as the tree limps through the Winter gloom and the adjustment to changes in light, temperature, and humidity.

Other tips...don't be afraid to prune for shape. Sure, you may sacrifice fruit in the short-term, but consider the ultimate shape and production of the tree - and be thinking about how you'll fit the tree next to a window during the Winter.

The past two nights were 32F and 30F respectively, so I've pulled my Citrus back indoors. Not going to risk losing the young fruit or the next wave of blooms.

Josh

o

Josh..WOW!

I look at the first picture you posted and I can't believe the differnce in size and beauty!

Great job. I hope those fruit hang on and you get rewarded for all your hard work. Fantastic pal! Just amazing! You have come so far since your first containerized citrus.

I love the way in which you fertilize, do a follow up, and help us all. Thank you

Mi

o

Howdy, Mike!

You inspired me to grow Citrus, and have helped me all along the way. I'm glad I let you talk me into it, ha! ;-) I have five potted Citrus now, and they're a handful during the Winter....I don't know how you maintain your collection as you do!

Hopefully I'll be able to show a delicious fruit by this Winter, and finalize this lengthening Thread.

Josh

o

Hey Josh! i finally got my tree =] its so pretty, i'm happy! it looks healthy it is about 2 and a half years old or so. Going to re-pot it tonight or tomorrow morning, i don't mind re-potting in the dark lol i have lights.
So i decided to make a few changes in soil i've read it would benefit, I have a reputable family owned garden store next to my house that's been in business for many many years and they make their own soil with wormcastings and it's been doing wonders. I'm going to use that soil add a little chicken grit, turface and fir bark so the mix wouldn't be too gritty, i want it to retain a little moisture since our summers can be humid/dry with barely any rain. I'm going to lowe's tonight after the gym to get a pot =]
 photo 20130425_193100_zps04d8a534.jpg

o

Great purchase! A nice bushy tree.
The sooner re-potted, the better. After re-potting, be sure to keep the tree in shade and out of the wind for at least a week or two. Also, securing the tree so that the roots don't move around in the mix will speed the recovery. Start fertilizing after two weeks. Since your mix will have some nutrients, I would start with a reduced strength dose - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 strength.

Josh

o

That is a nice looking tree!

With Josh's help, it will be up and running like his beauty. I love it and I like where you got it.

From what Josh tells me, his has lots of blooms right now. If that is the case, then I will get one myself.
I was not to sure if this particular tree was a great bloomer or not, but if so, than I will be on the 'Moro Blood Orange' wagon with you all.

I am curious to know if it holds on to fruit to maturity as easy as the washington Navel in pots in our climates?
If so, then Yum for those whom can handle citrus fruit!

o

Mike, howdy! My tree is covered in blooms now, indeed! More and more opening every day, and the smell is wonderful. Here's just one of the branch-tips.

o

Really difficult to get a pic showing all the blooms...but I'm trying! hehe! I'll post two....an overall shot of the tree, and then a more focused shot of some buds.

o

Last one for now....

o

very very nice josh. I heard moros hold their fruit quite well unlike tarocco. I re-potted mine as well keeping it nice and relaxed and i staked it because it was wobbly. When i was re-potting it my kitty tommy like always wants to try the taste of all my plants and he really didn't like the taste of this one, good! he will keep away from it during the winter.

EDIT: now that your gonna have oranges soon a question arises, when to harvest and how to sweeten the oranges. I've read that heat and low nitrogen sweetens the blood oranges.

This post was edited by katsols on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:11

o

Josh...Holy moly!!!!

Look at that tree take off! Now you did it, I MUST get myself a Moro tree. Seriously.
You have done such a great job pal and I will tell you that getting trees in containers in growing areas such as ours is NO easy feat.
You tree seems really happy and you are certainly giving it everything it needs to be happy!
A great mix, fertilizer, and many other things.

Bravo pal. I love all those blooms.
Hey by the way, this tree is on my wish list and you forgot my birthday..lol

Ttyl pal and thanks for sharing.

MIke

o

Oh man, I forgot your birthday! Well happy birthday, Mike. I hope you spent it with some good food and fun...and I hope you took a day off. My head must have been elsewhere, buddy. Let's blame the allergies :-)

Yep, it's time for you to get a Moro, and show us how it's really done ;-)

Josh

o

Another month or so, and I'll have my first taste of home-grown Moro....

I'm really looking forward to slicing into a ripe fruit and finally learning whether or not I'll be able to induce that deep color in my environment.

Josh

o

Very nice to see the progression, Josh! I have some Chironja orangelos that are starting to color up. I'll have to post a before and after message, as this tree was so close to dead, it was amazing. Lovely tree, lovely job! Hey, did you ever find out what was causing the cuts in the leaves? To me, it looked like it was mechanical - leaves being pierced by the tree's own thorns. Do you see any blush on the skin at all? I would think your temps at night will give you some very excellent coloration for your Moros! I love the Moro orange so much, it is one of my few cultivars worthy of multiple trees. I have 3. Now, if I could just get that new Tarocco that is more heavily pigmented, I'd be in blood orange heaven.

Patty S.

o

Wow awsome thread I read this from start to finish and what great progress you've made I have a few Meyer's but now like everyone else who has seen this I want a moro haha great great work and enjoy those beauties

o

Wow awsome thread I read this from start to finish and what great progress you've made I have a few Meyer's but now like everyone else who has seen this I want a moro haha great great work and enjoy those beauties

o

Thanks to both of you!
I'm pleased with the progress so far, and I can't wait to taste the fruits. Patty, I think the tears in the leaves were mechanical most likely - a combination of wind, rain, and thorns. Either way, I haven't seen those tears since. As of now, no discernible blush on the skin...but I'll look more closely over the next few weeks. When do you typically harvest (or begin harvesting) your Moro's, Patty?

Josh

o

For me in S. Calif, Josh, my Moro's are usually ripe around March for me. There's a bit of a trick to picking Moro's. The usually in general start coming ripe in January through April, but you don't want to leave them on too long, as they can develop an off-taste. I have not experienced this with my fruit, but then, they are usually off the tree by end of April.

Patty S.

o

Josh....No way!

It seems like yesterday when you got this tree and yesterday when you told me it had buds....

What an amazing feat you did and what beautiful looking fruit! I can't believe that you finally got fruits after us wondering if it would ever even flower for you..Remember that?lol

They look so tasty and satisfying at that...

Sheesh, between you and Patty now, I have some catching up to do..

Fantastic buddy!!!

I love this thread and the progress.. Don't forget to coke back when you have bitten or cut into that fruit now.

Mike

o

Hey, Mike!
Thanks, buddy, you've been with me the whole way on this journey. Couldn't have done it without you...in fact, I probably wouldn't have even tried if you hadn't encouraged me. You've got to get yourself a Moro, as well...as Patty says, it's such a good one that she has duplicates! :-)

I'll check back in with images as soon as the fruit is ready.

Josh

o

Hey there everyone, Josh and Mike. Here is an update with my moro orange.
I was so nervous with it and pampering it, following your advice and advice from four winds. It grew a lot! and i noticed it started growing more leaves when it got cold here. I get very paranoid with the right amount of fertilize i give it hoping its enough and i get scared about chlorosis when i see yellowing leaves hehe.
Excuse the mess!
 photo IMG_2798_zpsb1d39c24.jpg
 photo IMG_2797_zpsa94a2b01.jpg

This post was edited by katsols on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 19:30

o

What mess? lol

Wait until the leaves decide to fall off!

A few leaves turning yellow should be no problem at all..But if it continues throughout the tree, I would always first question my watering practices and mix...

Good work..Look at that new growth:-)

Mike

o

Howdy, Katsols and Mike!
Thanks for the kind words, Katsols. And I'm very happy that your tree is doing well. When my Moro starts to get yellow veins, I feed it immediately. Yours is starting to look hungry, in my opinion :-) What is your fertilizing schedule lately?

Josh

o

Looking very good and nice growth. One thing about moros is they like some cold around this time for the fruit to properly ripen. To get dark pigment, warm days and cold nights are best. Make sure in your trees environment you can provide this or else your fruit will not darken much. I pulled one of mine to see how they are doing and was happy to see they are this dark already.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The flavor was not bad either, a very nicely balanced sweet and tart.

o

Ryan, great color!
You know, I'm really tempted to pull one of my fruits just to check progress. My tree was outdoors with overnight temps in the 30F's for about a month, so I'm hoping that was enough to pigment the fruit properly.

Josh

o

Oh definitely you will have some nice pigment going on with it being that cold. Check one and post it here! Moro session of ripening officially starts in December so why not, the fruit I'm sure will be tasty!

o

Wow that color is gorgeous! thank you Ryan for the advice on fruit ripening, my tree is starting to get buds so i'm excited.
Josh i feed it once a month with Jobe's Organic Fruit & Citrus Granular Fertilizer. They give instructions for fruits grown in ground so i cut the amount to one cup of granules and sprinkle it around. I also supplement with chelated iron and hydrolyzed fish and seaweed fert once a while.

o

Katsols, is that fertilizer meant to be used on container plants? I'd personally opt for something liquid that could be applied more consistently. Are you about to fertilize again?

Well, I plucked an orange this afternoon, and I can see that the fruit's not quite ready. I'll have to get the tree some more outdoor time once this cold-snap passes. We should be up into the 30F's overnight again soon. The fruit was delicious, though a touch on the acid side. I'll be patient and see if I can get some of those raspberry notes to come into play. In the meantime, here's a crappy pic taken in the kitchen....

Josh

o

Wow! I love this thread. Just became a GardenWeb member so I could post these questions.

Got my grafted Moro in March 2013 and transplanted immediately. Wondering if the pot is too big after seeing other pictures on this thread. Kept it in dappled shade (under the canopy of a palo brea tree) as was afraid the hot Arizona sun would be too hard on it. No growth for a year--probably trying to fill the pot with roots.

This spring it's shooting out new growth like crazy. Every morning I check for flower buds but don't see any. I fertilize on the regular Arizona schedule (3X per year) using MiracleGro Shake & Feed Citrus. Perhaps I'm not fertilizing enough??? Do you think if I start fertilizing more frequently with something now it might still set buds this year? What should I use and how often?

I was interested in the comments about vinegar and water. Is that to keep gnats down?

My potted Bearrs lime is loaded with blooms. Kumquat is loaded with fruit. Just want to see my little Moro do something!

o

Hello!
I think the pot is fine...you could even go bigger!
I've kept mine in a smaller pot so that I can manage it better over the Winter. I do think that you could fertilize more often. Also, this is still early for blooms, I believe. Your Moro is showing excellent growth. Dappled shade is a great idea in Arizona. Even here in California, my Moro takes a sun-beating at certain times of the season.

Vinegar is added to water to acidify alkaline tap-water. The vinegar lowers the pH to a more favorable range for the uptake of nutrients.

Josh

o

Josh, you're an inspiration! You make me feel as if I can grow one too! I'm waiting for spring until I order my 'Moro', its just too cold to have anything ship to RI right now. I will clip and review your fertilizing and potting program. I have three other citrus but no 'Moro', the citrus I really want. Hats off, great job! Mrs. G

o

Thanks, Mrs. G! :-)
I, in turn, was inspired by Meyer Mike who has encouraged me throughout the process. And don't be discouraged when/if you have to deal with pests....or when the trees discards leaves during the Winter, et cetera - we all deal with it. It's all part of growing Citrus indoors in the cooler parts of the northern hemisphere.

Josh

o

Josh!!! I think I was missing in action when you posted the beautiful fruit with the beautiful job you have done...

It's looks soooo delicious pal....Now I want one.lol

How did your process work out to get even sweeter fruit? Did you ever get a real sweet juicy one?

Great work Josh as always and wonderful advice..

Mike

o

Hey, Mike, I sure did! The key was timing....basically, I waited until the end of January, and that was when the sugar finally balanced with the acid (to my liking) - not too tart, not too sweet. The fruits were all incredibly juicy, right to the last one.

Josh

o

Hey Josh it's kat again, I wanted to post this a while ago but got so busy. This past winter was horrible in nyc so I did my best keeping my moro inside close to my t5 lamp. It was doing fine and started blooming, but towards the end of winter I got scared! It dropped the flowers and it just started dropping leaves. The bottom part of the tree was completely bare, only the top branches had leaves, I was hoping it wouldn't lose the top but they stayed, my tree was naked only under that area. Now it's outside and it bursted into life.
I was wondering what caused such a drastic leaf drop on the verge of spring? How can I get it to hold the flowers?
Thank you!

o

Hello, Kat! At the end of Winter, my tree discards a lot of interior leaves that it doesn't have enough light to support. I try to turn my tree periodically so that the sun hits both "sides" as evenly as possible...but it's hard not to "worry" a little when you see three leaves on the floor below the tree :-) When I take my tree outside, those bare stems re-sprout new leaves and fill in nicely.

Now that the sun is baking hot on the back deck, I've actually moved my Moro into better shade to help the new growth and the fruit-set. I had a record number of blooms...now just waiting to see how many oranges form.

Update pic.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here