Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

PSSSST. I just inherited 2 Meyer lemon trees

My friend is moving to Cleveland and has so much problems with her "easy to grow trouble free Meyer lemon trees" that she gave them to me. They were in 10 gallon pots and filled with roots that just started to wrap. I move one to an 18 gallon bottomless container and the other one will move up to a 55 gallon drum halved to 27.5 with about 600 drain and aeration holes.

The trees came from White Flower Farm up in Connecticut and are 5 years old, about. I can find no trace of a graft line on either tree and believe the are grow from cuttings. I have no questions yet on these trees until I can provide pictures and have looked them over very thoroughly.

I will probably need advice on pruning and shaping them up. Right now I have both of them outside on the north porch. They get 2 hours of first morning sun through a storm door full window. I will move them after a week to get that same sun with no storm door and increase from there.

I have never said anything nice about Meyer lemon trees or their fruit. I may have to go through an attitude change.

Steve

Comments (19)

• norwoodn
    9 years ago

Well two things I've learned real fast

save your cuttings that you prune, as meyer lemons root real easily.

And kick up that fertilizer, apparently mine was not strong enough so the leaf veins yellowed followed by the whole leaf dropping. Now it's okay, there's some new growth pushing through the very top.

Congrats on the new trees!

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Most Meyers in that area are grown from cuttings; they are fine in containers; but in the ground the root is a bit weak and susceptible to various problems.

Because the Meyer is more a bush than a typical tree, it needs a bit more attention in pruning early in life. The basics are prune off any limb that is growing in a downward direction; and prune off anything that touches the soil... even with fruit. After that prune out any limbs that cross the center; that lets more light into the center and you will get more fruit there. Finally, prune it to whatever size and shape you like; every time you prune, it will grow more branches.
    And congratulations on your inheritance.

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

Congrats, nice that she gifted those to you.

• garret_87
    9 years ago

Would love to see pics. As far as their taste, mine have been pretty sour this season, like regular lemons. Not sure if its because I'm growing in a colder zone, but the room temp is consistently above 70 degrees and it gets 12 hours of grow light a day plus 4 hours of direct sun from the south facing window. I have picked 6 so far over the winter and 4 that I left on the tree to see if that 'Meyer' taste will arrive.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank all for looking and your support. Here is one picture so far.

{{gwi:569340}}

Steve

• norwoodn
    9 years ago

What a lovely meyer. I wonder if my rootstock has an effect on the leaf shape, cause mine are a little different. And you think yours is on its own roots.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Congrats!!

I'm about to give up on growing citrus all together,,If I end up getting rid of mine you will be the first on my list to send a few..

Mike

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Rootstock of Meyer is not such a factor in leaf shape and size; light is a much bigger factor. Not enough light equals bigger, rounder leaves.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, John

This is the picture of the other Meyer lemon tree.
    {{gwi:577885}}
    I should wait till daytime so I can see where the camera is pointed. Both trees have been on the north or west side of the house and shaded by a full glass storm door to limit the direct sunlight to 0 hours. After 5 days I am exposing the tree to 2 hours of sun at sunrise for the north tree and sunset for the west tree. I have looked over the trees and they both have a ring of roots around a cut end and no tap root. Both trees flowered last year but no fruit set.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Meyers are looking better

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Meyer lemon tree in bottomless 18 inch box.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Good job. Nice color and shine. They look happy and healthy.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another burst in growth. It looks like this is the big one.

Steve

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

They look nice Steve
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good news and bad news.

The good - - My Meyer lemon is bursting its bud in new growth.

The bad - - None of the buds are flower buds. These two Meyers are the only citrus trees of mine that are of breeding age.

The small Meyer lemon is behind the better an I am unable to pick it out.

Steve

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Steve,

Don't despair. The primary flower times for Meyers in your climate are Spring and Fall. Be happy they are growing and continue to look healthy.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FLOWERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Great Steve! I hope you get some fruit for all your efforts.

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I HAVE CONTINUED THIS THREAD TO A NEW THREAD. JUST CLICK THE LINK BELOW.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0119200229928.html?27482