Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

Good link

This is what my work says about growing citrus I feel its a good basic guild.
Trace

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong citrus guild

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 0:30

Comments (4)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I think you mean "guide", and yes, basic information is pretty good. I would suggest perhaps a more porous potting mix. And, using B-1 to reduce transplant shock is not needed, several good studies have found that using vitamin B really doesn't do much of anything. Not sure I'd water this much if using a very dense potting mix, as it may cause too wet roots. Better suggestion is to actually check to see if you need to water this much, before just randomly watering daily. Just my take on it for whatever that's worth.

Patty S.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    10 years ago

Congratulations Trace on your new job! I also work at a nursery and while it's sometimes tough physically, it's fun!

My boss told me that year's ago when B-1 first came out, they realized it didn't do much but told all customers putting in a new plant to use it once a week for the first several weeks.

Because they found if they told them to just water it once a week for the first few weeks, lot's of people would forget, but if they told them water with a miracle product that reduced transplant shock, they would remember!

It was just to get them to actually water the darn plants and not forget, kinda a mind trick! lol!

• citrusfrak
    10 years ago

wow, I would not want to shop at a place that tells every customer to buy and use a product that they thought did nothing

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    10 years ago

OK, this was a long time ago, and no one really does this anymore.
    It wasn't to every customer. There were a lot of plants coming back that died because a customer forgot to water it. That nursery guaranteed all their plants unconditionally, and they'ed give the customer a new plant.

The customers often would get insulted if we tried to tell them they killed their plant because they didn't water it enough. And they'd kill the next one for the same reason. It was the schedule they would not follow, if it was just water; tell them it's needed "medicine" and they will water it. Losses were lots less after they did this.

Maybe it wasn't perfectly honest but it got people in the habit of watering better, so they were better off. Besides the little 8 oz bottle only cost about a couple dollars back then, so it wasn't like they were making huge profits on it.

Anyway, it's now pretty well known in the industry that B-1 does nothing much and so many more people here have automatic irrigation now that's not as big of a problem. It's still on the shelf but we don't recommend it anymore.