Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cayden_gw

Tour of a Tucson Citrus Garden

cayden
11 years ago

I thought I would post an update to my citrus trees. What started with one little dinky tree has grown to four: A Seedless Kishu, Tango Tangerine, Lisbon Lemon, and Cara Cara.

The Seedless Kishu and Cara Cara are both new this year. The Cara Cara comes from Greenfield Citrus in Phoenix. I highly recommend them. It's a shame that the local nurseries don't carry their trees.

The Tango Tangerine has struggled it's still not doing well. It lost most of it's leaves in the first year and hasn't really flushed since. The branches are now dying back. I don't know if it's going to make it.

{{gwi:578038}}

Click on the images above to see all the photos.

Comments (9)

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics. They'll look very different in a couple of years. Have you ever eaten a Cara Cara? They have been in some of the grocery stores here, and they're delicious. I hunted for a tree for a long time, and finally got one! It's small but is a great addition. I found a nutrient profile online (can't find it again, should have copied it) and it has a lot more nutrients than any other citrus.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

Where did you get your Kishu?

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

Where did you get your Kishu?

• cayden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eahamal, Yes I have had a Cara Cara. The local sprouts carries them and usually they are amazing. I've had a few that are just OK but in general they are the best orange I have ever tasted.

Toucan, It took me a while to find the kishu. Mesquite Valley Growers found one for me in the back of their green house. Most of the nurseries I called had never heard of it.

• pgde
    11 years ago

Hi Cayden:

Thanks for the tour. I'll post a tour of mine sometime in the next few days. Am on the far east side very near to Saguaro NP East. What is your elevation?

Keep up the good work!

Peter

• cayden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peter,

My elevation is 2500 ft. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

• pgde
    10 years ago

Hi Cayden:

Here are my pictures. I included my hat for scale. Note that both my Mexican lime and two lemons have survived the past freezes. One effect of the freeze was to return the Variegated Pink Lemon to its original bush form. The years in parenthesis indicate the number of years the tree has been in the ground. A "3 yr" time indicates an original planting. A "2 yr" time indicates that the original tree had to be replaced after the horrible winter of 2011. I am having real issues with grapefruits for some reason (I will post a separate message about that). I also included pictures of my two almond trees (already about 15 feet high) and the pomegranate that is planted in the citrus area. All are on drip irrigation and I am about to change to twice weekly waterings now that the temps are getting consistently over 90 degrees. If anybody is interested in cactus pictures check out the following links:

Late April Cactus Blooms

Early April Cactus Blooms,

March Cactus Blooms

Happy viewing!

Peter

Here is a link that might be useful: East side Tour

This post was edited by pgde on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 20:21

• cayden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are great pics. Your trees look fantastic. So much bigger than mine ;)

Your cactus pictures are pretty great too. No one really understands the beauty of the Sonoran desert until they see blooms like that.

• pgde
    10 years ago

Thanks! Perhaps others in the Tucson area will post pictures of their citrus!!

P.