Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite Satsuma and why ?

Posted by noss Zone 9 Lafayette (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 1:17

I am wondering what is your favorite Satsuma and why is it you prefer it?

I have tasted Satsumas that I know are Owari and they are always good. I've tasted other Satsumas and have eaten some that had dry sections in them. I don't know what they are, or if that dryness comes from growing situations. Those Satsumas were from roadside vendors in South Louisiana, where my husband works.

Thanks,

Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite Satsuma and why ?

I have 5 varieties growing at home, and I like them all, but Miho would win the contest by a nose. The one mature tree here has baseball-shaped fruit with thin skin that is blemish-free. The fruit is a little less acid and thus tastes slightly sweeter. It is at least as cold hardy as the others. It may be hard to pick a loser. If it rains regularly or you water them too much during harvest season, they may be less sweet. They may be sweeter after some cold weather. I remember being given satsumas at one house,rather than candy, during Halloween trick-or-treating in Thibodaux,LA about 50 years ago.They were big and sweet. I don't remember any of the 'candy-only' houses, but I sure would plant several varieties of chocolate candy trees if they were available.They would look good next to the row of money trees.

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9 Lafayette (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 3:10

LOL, copingwith clay! I wouldn't mind a money tree... :)

There are conflicting descriptions of the various Satsumas and I was wondering if I should get one of a different variety, but which, was the puzzle.

I've looked for dwarf Satsumas, but haven't seen any offered in Louisiana, so I got an Owari Satsuma. I think that's the only kind I think I've ever eaten, although my friends with Satsuma trees don't even know what variety they have and don't care. I think they are probably Owari from the sweet, tangy taste of them. I think they taste more like oranges than oranges.

I want to visit an orchard not too far from here when the citrus ripens this fall and see if they have different varieties labeled so I can taste different varieties.

I've not seen a Miho variety anywhere. Do you get those in TX?

Thanks,

Vivian

o

Vivian,

There is a nursery (Saxton and sons?) in Orange, tx (almost on the border with la). As far as I know, they are licensed to sell both to tx and la. They produce tons of Miho - at least our stores are flooded with their Mihos.

Good luck!

o

Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 4:25

Is it Saxon Becnel & Sons, by any chance? There is a Saxon Becnel & Sons nursery in LA, as well.

Thanks,

Vivian

o

Yep, that's they!

o

This forum post speaks highly of the Miho Satsuma. I planted a Saxon raised one sold from Lowes here in Austin.

http://citrus.forumup.org/about1275-0-asc-0-citrus.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://citrus.forumup.org/about1275-0-asc-0-citrus.html

o

Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 1:18

I couldn't see the picture, but read the link. Is there no zing to the Miho Satsuma at all?

I know a seller who was talking about his Miho Satsuma and I can also speak to him about it.

Thanks,

Vivian

o

Coping with clay, what are the other 4 you have, as i live in north fl which is the same zone as you, thanks

o

Besides the Miho, there are 3 old Owaris, 1 old Armstrong, 1- 6 year old BC2 (Texan Bonnie Childers came up with this one.), and one mature "generic" satsuma. This year will be the first for the young Brown Select to bear fruit. In a few years, 3- BC1 (Bonnie Childers') scions that were grafted to young rootstock plants a year ago will hopefully bear fruit. These may not all be available in FL.Regarding possible hurricane damage there, taller citrus like the 3 Owaris here are 8 ft, 12 ft, and 14 ft. I have them fastened to verticle galv. pipes that are horizontally joined at about 10 ft with thinner pipes. Many drooping branches are held in preferred positions with 3/16" nylon ropes. The trunks on all 3 are not able to hold all the heavy branches up. It is not pretty, but approx. 50 MPH winds didn't bother them during 2 episodes with downgraded hurricanes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here