Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saorise_2013

Moro Blood Orange Getting Big But No Flowers

Saorise_2013
10 years ago

I have had this Moro blood orange for about two months and it is getting huge! It is putting all of its energy into foliage which is awesome but I would love it to flower. Will it flower in the summer when the weather heats up?

{{gwi:578072}}

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Not NEARLY enough information for informative, helpful responses.

Is it inside or outside? What size container, what kind of soil, what fertilizer routine, etc.?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Moros can tend to alternate bear, so just be extremely thankful you have a tree that will have a sufficient canopy to support plenty of fruit once you get blossoms. Patience is in order. Nice smiley face.

Patty S.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Patty

Is there anyway to alter how a Morro bears? (the alternating issue)

Guessing buying two and explaining to one that this is not "their" year does not work out so well...hehe

• Saorise_2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rhizo,
    It is in a plastic pot in regular potting soil at the moment because it was shipped to me with its roots in a bag with just a little dirt. I had to put it in something quickly so I used what was on hand. Luckily the pot is too small for it so it really guzzles the water so I am not having to worry about the soil staying too wet. It is going into a 16" clay pot with orchid bark, vermiculite and some regular potting soil very soon.

I have only had the tree since February 15th of this year so I do not have it on a strict fertilizer routine yet.When I first got it I used vitamin B1 root starter transplant fertilizer since it had spent almost 5 days crossing the country to get here and was looking pretty ill. That really perked it up so I used it the next time I watered as well. Since then, I have been using miracle grow 20-20-20 around every 2-3 weeks but used 30-10-10 last week instead.

It is kept in front of a southeast window but for the last two weeks it has been mainly outside with my other two citrus trees.

Patty,

Thanks for the encouragement. :-) I would like it to flower at some point but I do not want it to flower indoors when I bring it in this autumn (which is why I was hoping it may flower this summer.) I found out that me and some of my other family members are severely allergic to citrus blossoms when my clementine tree's flowers started to open. They make me and my other family members with asthma have asthma attacks. My mom, who doesn't even have asthma, starts to cough and wheeze when she smells them because the scent was so strong. :-/ ( I wish I would have known this before I ordered my trees. )

What I did to get rid of the flowers was I pulled most of the blossoms off, but left some of the ones that were about to open on the tree. I then removed the flower petals as well as the anthers and filaments from these remaining flowers. I also did this with my satsuma tree when it flowered as well. I just would hate to have to do this with my orange tree since it would be nice for us to have the tree flower outdoors where we could enjoy the flowers and still be able to breathe.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living