Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_willett

Uses for lemons

Beth Willett
9 years ago

Anyone have good recipes or cleaning concoctions with lemons? I have them coming out of my ears! I have a Eureka that is non stop producing, and I want a Meyer....but I need another lemon like a hole in the head! Help me justify it!

Comments (5)

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Get a pink Eureka, then you can have pink lemonade year round! Lemons are also great for cleaning the sink disposal, cut them in quarters and run hot water as you send them through the in sink erator and it leaves a lemony fresh scent too. You can also donate them to your local shelter or food bank, they can use them in the foods they cook for the less fortunate. Throw a gleaning dinner party with friends, give them a bag or basket and let them each pick some lemons to take home with them. Just a couple of things I have done in the past with my extra lemons.
    Evan

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Many people freeze them whole, then grate them on soups, salads and beverages for a lemon tang. My freezer can handle a few, and I do bag up juice in 1 cup measures for lemonade. I have the same issue with limes! YIKES! I'm amazed how quickly we whittle that juice down making margaritas!

There was a show about two cleaning ladies in England. They cleaned everything with lemons!

I had these tips saved on my computer:

Surprising Household Uses for Lemons
    Lemons are a natural disinfectant, stain remover and are wonderful for polishing metal. They're also inexpensive and eco-friendly. Try these 8 surprising household uses for lemons.
    Cleaning laminate countertops: Cut a whole lemon in half, squeeze the juice onto the counter. Using the lemon as a scrubber, work the juice over the stains. Leave the juice on until the stains disappear then rinse with water and dry. The citric acid will quickly remove the stains. Bottled lemon juice can be substituted for a fresh lemon.
    Cutting boards: The same procedure works on cutting boards. Rub the lemon onto the stains and let it sit until the stains are gone. The lemon will also disinfect the board at the same time.
    Cleaning copper: Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle salt (any kind -- even sea salt) onto the lemon. Massage the lemon wedge onto the brass, squeezing the juice out until the tarnish is buffed off. As it stops working, add more salt to the lemon. Rinse well with water and let dry. It is important to keep copper bottom pans clean because they redistribute the heat according to how clean they are on the bottom.
    Cleaning brass: If a piece is brass plated, it will be brass on one side and solid black on the other side. Never use lemon on anything that is brass plated -- only solid brass. Brass plated items need to be cleaned very gently with an oil soap -- never use anything acidic on it. Use the same method for cleaning solid brass as for copper -- one half of a lemon with salt sprinkled on it and rub until it is clean. Rinse well with water.

Removing rust from clothes: Put lemon juice on the rust stain and then sprinkle cream of tartar onto the top of the juice. Rub in the solution and let it sit on the stain until the rust is gone. The citric acid will take the rust off. Some stains are tougher than others, but 15 to 30 minutes should work just fine. Launder as usual.

Bleaching white clothes with lemon juice: Mix 1/2 cup lemon juice (or sliced lemons) with one gallon of very hot water. Soak the clothes in the solution. Do not use for silk, it is best for cotton and polyester. Let the clothes soak from an hour to overnight, depending on how badly the clothing needs bleaching. Rremove the clothing from the mix and pour the mix into the washing machine and wash as usual. It's impossible to over-bleach using lemon juice.
    Getting stains out of Tupperware: Squeeze lemon juice in the container and then add baking soda. Use the lemon as a cleaning tool and work it in. If the stains are bad, let it sit overnight before scrubbing the stains.

• Beth Willett
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great ideas! Thanks! Gotta try the bleaching one! Making lemon basil salmon then I'll clean my cutting board and disposal! :)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

I asked the chef at an expensive Italian restaurant what the salad dressing was on the salad I had. He looked at me like I was nuts. "Olive oil and lemon juice!"

From that day forward, it's our favorite dressing. I don't measure. Just squeeze some lemon and pour a little extra virgin olive oil by sight. Salt, pepper. Yummmmmmm!

Suzi

• johnorange
    9 years ago

This is a food item so it's not quite what you asked for but good none-the-less.

I ran across a suggestion to use agave nectar to sweeten lemonade. It mixes in easily, has a low glycemic index, is twice as sweet as sugar so you can use less, and it has a very mild flavor that goes really well with lemons. I recently found out a liberal hand-full of fresh mint leaves in about a gallon of lemonade is good. If you let the fresh leaves soak in the lemonade overnight, the flavors come through nicely. If you finish the lemonade in a day or two, the mint leaves can be left in the pitcher for your next batch.