Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aznboi385

Recently planted citrus trees need advice

aznboi385
12 years ago

Hi, I recently planted two 5-gallon citrus trees. One was a meyer lemon and the other was some kind of clementine. I dug a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the container and mixed in some steer manure with the local soil. (I recently found out that I wasn't supposed to do that...) I then covered up the soil with some mulch and kept a 3" radius around the tree trunk free of mulch. I watered the tree down afterwards.

The trees had a bunch of flowers on it when I planted it, so I pinched them all off thinking that it would help the tree establish a better root system for the first year. Here's where I need help.

It's been two weeks now and the clementine took off and is sprouting a whole bunch of new leaves. Now it looks like it may be sprouting flowers again. Should I pinch them off or let them grow this time? The meyer lemon tree, however, isn't doing anything. The leaves aren't as dark green as the clementine and there aren't any signs of new growth, so it bothers me. I didn't know what else to do so I added maybe just a bit of 6-4-6 granular fertilizer today to see if it would do anything. What should I do to jump start the tree?

Thanks.

Comments (3)