Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a lime tree

Posted by pauline_lime (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 1:40

Hi,

I have been given a lime tree which from reading some of the previous forums I beleive to be grafted. I have read that you should cut off the new shoots which appear below the graft line. Could anyone tell me why this is the case - asides from those shoots not ever bearing fruit?

Thanks,
Pauline

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a lime tree

Mainly because it takes growing energy away from the lime tree above the graft. You want all the energy you can get going to the fruit and tree you are going to be using.

Rootstock is often very vigorous, and if you leave the suckers on they will take over and you will have a rootstock tree (sour orange - probably), not a lime tree.

o

It is also a different plant than the plant above the graft the reason it being used is the rootstock is immune to a lot of soil deseases. If you let it grow, it is useless for you fruitwise, too seedy, too sour or no fruit at all.

o

I have a question along the same lines. I bought a key lime tree from someplace like gurneys or something like that and when it came last summer it was tiny with two leaves. Now its grown a lot with branches everywhere. i don't need to prune these branches do i? This is not a grafted tree right? Or is it? I dont guess i really understand what a grafted tree is versus any other kind. Someone please help.

o

1st determine if the branches are from below the graft union, a swelling at the base of the trunk. If they are below, cut them off, they will take energy away that should be going to the lime. If they are above, it is ok to leave them on unless they are criss-crossing too much; then remove one of the criss-crossers.

Also, begin to think about what you want your tree to look like in several years. [Should be a main trunk with strong side branches at various heights. I assume you want a lime tree not a lime bush.]
To that end, allow at least one branch toward to center of the tree to begin growing straight up, you can get a 10' landscaping pole and loosely tie it to that, with green vinyl stretchy tape. As the tree gets bigger you can begin cutting off the lower branches, say anything lower than 2 feet, unless you have several strong Y-branches low on the trunk. The branches above 2 feet will easily droop to the ground and protect the trunk from sunburn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here