Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmc2009

Best online retailers for citrus trees

tmc2009
13 years ago

Who are some good online sources for citrus for people in the northeast? Is it best to order from someone on the east coast?

Comments (13)

• bgtimber75
    13 years ago

Depends on what you want. Four Winds has the best selection but I found them to be expensive. For a novice like me I wasn't ready to invest that type of money. I really like Almost Eden but the selection isn't nearly as good. They're in Louisiana so shipping is a little more reasonable for us east coasters and the prices were much easier to swallow. I posted the other day that they're going to stop carrying Citrus when what they have is out of stock. If the website shows something as out of stock contact John and he'll look for something for you.

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I keep looking at the meyerlemontree.com website but I read some negative reviews about them. I think they are in texas. Edible landscaping seems to have less citrus available. I purchased their last meiwa Kumquat last year. I heard about four winds. I'll look at their website again.
    Thanks

• indoorgrwr
    13 years ago

Four Winds is the only place I order my trees. The price reflects the quality of trees this nursery produces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers

• woodrok
    13 years ago

I have ordered from Four Winds several times. They package and ship very well and fast. Ordered and received trees two days later. Had one tree out of 8 die though. It was a CaraCara navel and the graft died within 2 days of arrival. Root stock is now growing fine so I have to assume it wasn't a good graft. Am in process of contacting them for replacement so will see about customer service. Otherwise all the other trees have been very healthy looking and are thriving.
    Rob

• don_in_ct
    13 years ago

I've purchased a couple trees from Logee's and have no complaints. They are small though: my Myrtle-leafed orange was only six inches high when I got it four years ago. It is now 30 inches high. Logee's carries a number of exotic citrus, so they have a good selection for indoor growers. Their 2.5 inch pot-sized trees go for about $10 to 13. In my opinion, there is no real advantage in paying for their slightly larger sized trees. If you want to start with bigger plants, go with FourWinds.

One more suggestion: Most good nurseries and Home Depot and Lowe's stores here in Connecticut stock a few citrus ever spring, and if you get them shortly after they arrive they should be a good bargain, since you won't need to pay for shipping. The big box stores and local nurseries tend to stock the obvious types, however, so if you are looking for something off the beaten trail you'll need to look elsewhere.

• bgtimber75
    13 years ago

I'll have to try Lowes, haven't had any luck at HD this year. I really want a Washington Navel but don't want to pay $40 for one.

• MrClint
    13 years ago

Four winds. Their trees are also available locally here in So Cal at OSH hardware stores. The tips & advice section and citrus problem solver on their website are just about all the info you will need to be successful with citrus as well.

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. I know buying locally has the advantage of not paying the shipping charge but haven't found anything of interest. Maybe looking to get Satsuma tangerine or Murcott mandarine.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

bgtimber, Lowe's have plenty of Washington navels when I was there about a week ago. Plus some other interesting varieties including a Sanguinelli. I think our local Lowe's gets their citrus from LaVerne, which is a very well-respected nursery in S. Calfornia. Home Depot also buys from the same supplier and Costco has had some very nice citrus as well.

Patty S.

• susan2010
    12 years ago

I really liked the size and quality of the one-year-old trees I got from Four Winds. I bought a kaffir lime and bergamot orange. Both are doing well (this is the first winter). If I can figure some more winter inside space (I have a small, darkish house and have almost maximized my options for indoor growing), I'll get more from them.

• Milo56
    12 years ago

For best citrus and prices growquest.com ask for Chris

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

I would google "the scoop growquest" before I ordered from there. The reviews speak for themselves...