Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PH adjustment with vinegar

Posted by TheRiGuy (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 3:10

My local tap water has a PH of about 8-8.5 and I'm thinking lowering the PH might help to green up my potted nagami kumquat. the tree is currently under a grow light and has light green/yellow patches on the latest growth leaves.

The fertilizer I use is called "Citrus Focus" and has micro nutrients and I have followed the instructions on the bottle but it doesn't seem to fix the patches.

Just wanted to clarify a few things before I try adding vinegar to my very alkaline water.

-What is a good PH range to adjust the water to?
-How often should I be adjusting the water? every time?
-Will going from alkaline to acidic water suddenly harm the plant?

Here's a picture of the yellow patches in case anyone has any other suggestions:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PH adjustment with vinegar

Interveinal chlorosis on new leaves. And not too bad BTW. Alkaline soil or iron deficiency.

I'd adjust to pH 5.5 or higher assuming soil is alkaline. But I don't think it will help (won't hurt though) as soil pH is hard to influence with diluted vinegar. It is hard to keep soil pH where you want it. You would likely be better off foliar feeding as needed EDDHA-Fe.

I notice some minor tip burn too = salts accumulating from tap water (and fertilizer?). Might want to give it a good flushing with rain water when the opportunity presents itself to collect a barrel of rain.

It bugs me you can't see what is in "Citrus Focus" . . . hopefully a breakdown is on the bottle:
http://www.focus-on-plants.com/products/product.php?id_prod=11

"Citrus FeED":
http://www.jrpeters.com/Products/Jack-s-Classic/Citrus-FeED.html

Here is a link that might be useful: You can also try this

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:38

o

Typical of kumquats. If is grafted to poncirus. More of the same.

They look just like mine, and they will take a half year for the leaves already formed to green up.

Good luck

o

The leaf burn happened earlier in the winter so I started giving the tree and soil a rinse in the shower once a month and it hasn't happened again or gotten worse since.

I have "Iron Chelate 7%" I have never tried foliar feeding anything before. Is it better to foliar feed these kind of things? The citrus focus has no instructions to foliar feed.

Does anyone have a way of checking soil pH in the 1:1:1 gritty mix(crushed granite/spruce bark chips/Flourite)? I have bought a soil pH meter but it is unable to read the pH due to the large particle size.

here is a pic of the fertilizer and Iron Chelate:

This post was edited by TheRiGuy on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 0:59

o

Here is an old post that I think will answer a lot of your questions..

By the way, if your mix has Fe in it and you still have a deffiency, then I would consider the root cause of your problem...

Probably to high of a pH solution, not enough fertilizer, temps either too hot or too cold, or damaged roots..

MIke:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Griity mix and pH solutions

o

what kind of pH tester does everyone use in the 1:1:1 gritty mix? because this thing doesn't work unless my soil really has a pH of 8 because the needle doesn't move at all. I don't think it is because the needle doesn't move for the moisture setting either

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here